A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Install Windows XP in Dual Boot with Pre-Installed Windows 7

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Re: Install Windows XP in Dual Boot with Pre-Installed Windows 7

Postby nifear4 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:47 am

Where can I find all the boot files? And where do I copy them into? I think I missed this part. I'm using Ubuntu Live to get into the files and see them.
PRO New Member

Postby shreader » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:51 pm

nifear4 wrote:Where can I find all the boot files? And where do I copy them into? I think I missed this part. I'm using Ubuntu Live to get into the files and see them.

Check the first post here w/ the guide.

I assume you are looking for the XP boot files?
Software Director

Postby nifear4 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:08 pm

Yeah, I'm looking for the XP boot files to place into the System Partition, but it won't let me copy them into it.
PRO New Member

Postby crash613 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:46 am

sorry if this has already been answered. i admit, i didn't read all 8 pages.. .i have been pulling my hair out all day and read countless pages without any luck.. so i apoligze in advance.

anyway, to the question....

this may be an easy one, I have Win 7 installed on my main hard drive. I have a second hard drive with win 7 (32 bit) The bootloader gives me the option to choose which version to go to. (long story on why it is set up this way)

I want to disconnect the main hard drive, the one w/ 64-bit Win 7 ... and format the 32 bit one and put XP on it. it seems straight forward, since the Win 7 isn't connected.

Once i hook both hard drives up, i assume i can pick which one to load by messing with the boot order in the bios,... but my question is, is there a way to use a boot loader program in my situation?

i.e. xp on one disk win 7 on the other. AND will the fact that the boot loader already asks about which Win7 version to boot to become an issue once one is removed? how do i make it not ask anymore, since the second one won't exist.

Thanks
PRO New Member

Postby NT50 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:48 pm

crash613 wrote:sorry if this has already been answered. i admit, i didn't read all 8 pages.. .i have been pulling my hair out all day and read countless pages without any luck.. so i apoligze in advance.

anyway, to the question....

this may be an easy one, I have Win 7 installed on my main hard drive. I have a second hard drive with win 7 (32 bit) The bootloader gives me the option to choose which version to go to. (long story on why it is set up this way)

I want to disconnect the main hard drive, the one w/ 64-bit Win 7 ... and format the 32 bit one and put XP on it. it seems straight forward, since the Win 7 isn't connected.

Once i hook both hard drives up, i assume i can pick which one to load by messing with the boot order in the bios,... but my question is, is there a way to use a boot loader program in my situation?

i.e. xp on one disk win 7 on the other. AND will the fact that the boot loader already asks about which Win7 version to boot to become an issue once one is removed? how do i make it not ask anymore, since the second one won't exist.

Thanks

Try the guide below: Read ALL of it.

Dual Boot Trouble Shooting Guide - XP / Windows 7 Running
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby ChicO_30 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:03 pm

Hi. I´m trying to dual boot windows 7 with windows xp 64 bits (windows 7 pre-installed) , and i´m trying to follow these steps but i can´t get around step 1 , has the disk management doesn´t let me assign a letter to the "hidden" partition. Could you help me with this? Thanks.
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:41 am

Which operating system are you working from within ChicO?

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby St3 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:02 pm

firstly, thanks for taking the time and effort to make this guide, it's much appreciated.

i'm having some issues though;

the first time i tried to install xp i got "disk read error"
i'm assuming this is because i need to install the SATA/RAID drivers for my motherboard but, i don't have a floppy drive...
is slipstreaming the only way for me to get the drivers into the xp install without a floppy? i'm amazed that there isn't an easier way.

edit: i tried putting the drivers in using nlite.
tried installing xp again, and after the first reboot of installation i get the same error "disc read error.. CRT+ALT+DELETE to restart"
Last edited by St3 on Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:38 am

St3 wrote:firstly, thanks for taking the time and effort to make this guide, it's much appreciated.

i'm having some issues though;

the first time i tried to install xp i got "disk read error"
i'm assuming this is because i need to install the SATA/RAID drivers for my motherboard but, i don't have a floppy drive...
is slipstreaming the only way for me to get the drivers into the xp install without a floppy? i'm amazed that there isn't an easier way.

Try nLite.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby St3 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:39 am

i did.
i got the same error.

"disc read error.. CRT+ALT+DELETE to restart"

my motherboard is a gigabyte m61pme-s2p
the version of xp im using is xp black edition (maybe because it's a black edition cause the problem?)
PRO New Member

PreviousNext

Return to Windows Boot Problems