A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Install Windows XP in Dual Boot with Pre-Installed Windows 7

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Re: Install Windows XP in Dual Boot with Pre-Installed Windows 7

Postby Grav!ty » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:35 pm

Read the guide at the top of the thread Alaa. It's got all the information you need and you're welcome to post any questions along the way. You will need to use DualBootPRO to get your dual boot working once you've done the other steps that are necessary.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby St3 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:39 pm

I think i might have figured out the problem.
i just wanted to get some conformation if it sounds plausible.

My HDD is SATA-II not SATA. My motherboard doesn't even seem to support SATA-II.
I read that i need to change the jumper on my HDD to 1.5 Gb/s

i checked in the BIOS and the HDD is master 2 not master 0.

This may also be why there is no option to change drive settings in the BIOS

i dont really know much about this sort of thing so i thought i'd see what you thought
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:30 pm

That shouldn't make a difference as what you're dealing with is the controller and the right drivers for it. The controller won't change as a result of having a drive capable of greater data throughput attached to it. The controller won't know. Anyway, that's how I see it. Try and borrow a legit copy from a friend to see if you have any better success.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby St3 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:38 pm

i'm getting really desperate because the software i need to do a university assessment (due next monday) wont run on windows 7.

if i follow this guide but install windows vista instead will it work?
i have a legit copy of vista home premium lying around somewhere.
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:02 am

St3 wrote:i'm getting really desperate because the software i need to do a university assessment (due next monday) wont run on windows 7.

if i follow this guide but install windows vista instead will it work?
i have a legit copy of vista home premium lying around somewhere.

Yeah pretty much. You'll spot the obvious differences when you get to them.

PROfessional Member

Postby ALAAALALLAN » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:02 pm

Grav!ty wrote:Read the guide at the top of the thread Alaa. It's got all the information you need and you're welcome to post any questions along the way. You will need to use DualBootPRO to get your dual boot working once you've done the other steps that are necessary.

Hello my friend , Did you read what i wrote up there ?, i did not get the Guide well ?
i have D:\ Drive already , why should i go throw disk management , ???!!!
and please give me the link for the Guide which you are talking about .

Thank you .
Greeting,
AlAA
PRO New Member

Postby shreader » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:27 pm

ALAAALALLAN wrote:and please give me the link for the Guide which you are talking about .

Thank you .
Greeting,
AlAA

Page 1 of this thread, the first post.
Software Director

Postby NT50 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:22 pm

Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby philipjoep » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:12 am

I've tried following the instructions at the beginning of the post. I have a three HD configuration where one of the three HD is used for storage and the other two are used for XP (32bit) and Windows 7 (64bit) (or at least this is the plan).

I followed the instructions and even let the XP setup do the formatting. (i made one exception to the instructions... i change the drive names so that my storage HD is E: and the Windows XP partition is D:) When I install DualBootPro on the XP side, everything appears to work until i run the diagnostics step. I get an error (i can't remember what it was and wish i took a screen shot) and i get the option to continue or quit. When i continue, nothing seems to happen. If i quit and try and go to any other tabs, the same error appears. When i restart my computer and make sure the boot priority is set the XP HD, I get a error that the BOOTMNGR cannot be found.

I then have to go through the long process of doing a fresh install of WIndows 7 and deleting the XP partition in the process.

I have not attempted the alternate method of copying the files manually. I wanted to know if anyone else was having this problem before i spent more time trying to figure this out. Could it be a freak accident?

I'd really appreciate the help. I had Vista (32bit) and XP (32bit) running without a problem a few days ago before upgrading to Windows 7 (64bit).

Thanks,
Phil
PRO New Member

Postby NT50 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:06 pm

Vista/Win7 uses bootmgr and folder called Boot

XP and earlier use boot.ini, ntldr, and NTDETECT.

If you are booting to XP and it gives you and error of bootmgr then you are not making the entry as a "Legacy" OS.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

PreviousNext

Return to Windows Boot Problems