A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Install Windows XP in Dual Boot with Pre-Installed Windows 7

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Re: Install Windows XP in Dual Boot with Pre-Installed Windows 7

Postby kd1966 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:17 am

I'm sorry to say I never did like the WHS system as a whole during the Beta; not sure how or if they improved anything since, but it seems you had some bad luck. I actually had the system crash 5 times while I was using it. Thankfully all I did was COPY my data up to the WHS server......................... :no No, I was never impressed with that one........ not sure what MS was trying to prove there
PRO PLATINUM

Postby NT50 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:55 pm

Ok

Here is my SLOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW status
I got Win7 installed on a new hard drive with nothign on it and it did not create the small 200 meg partition. I now have Win7 on one partition, all of it.
What I am think about doing is install XP AGAIN now and see what happens.

what I did to install Win7 on it own partition was to use the Magic GParted software, create my partition, then just install Win7 and formating the partition only.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby JabbaPapa » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:14 pm

I still think that installing Vista or W7 from within an existing Windows setup is the best way to do it.
PRO VETERAN

Postby FEG » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:49 am

This looks like a fairly easy guide to follow, and it's probably roughly the same steps I would've taken, but I have one small possible problem. Instead of doing a fresh install of Windows 7 on my laptop I just let it upgrade from Vista. So instead of having a 200MB system partition and the rest being the boot and storage area, I have an 8.96GB recovery partition and the System, Boot, and storage all on an second partition which occupies the rest of my drive(or it did before I set up another partition for XP). I believe that if XP needs to read Win7 files it'll do so properly from the main partition, and I can go about as a relatively happy camper, but I'd like a bit of input before I decide to muck around with something I'm not entirely comfortable with.
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:44 pm

That should be fine FEG. As you can see if you look through the discussion in this thread, there are others who found the same as you...no special System partition. Following the rest of the guide should be good.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby n0rd » Sun May 17, 2009 8:16 pm

ok.. let`s see.. I`m a noob here ( hence my 1 post ), and actually I got lost during the reading of the guide in the 1st page. Either it means that I`m a moronic noobish a$$ nerd and should *beep* off from this forum ( which I don`t fancy too much :roleeyes ), or I should just try to read it one more time step by step. :oops:

Anyway, one question.. is this the only way to get working XP and win7 together ? A lot of more smart dudes than myself seem to fail at getting it done.

EDIT: ok, I`m being just a silly moron.. not even funny. If I install XP first and then win7, everything tuns fine. I didn`t read the topic theme correctly. Sry to bother.
Last edited by Grav!ty on Sun May 17, 2009 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited for language
PRO New Member

Postby NT50 » Mon May 18, 2009 11:40 am

No problem n0rd. There are good days and bad days when it comes to Windows.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby Zammyboy » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:06 pm

Hey it worked, amazing but when i restart or change os it always says that i have to repair windows xp so can u help me plzz.
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:14 pm

Zammyboy wrote:Hey it worked, amazing but when i restart or change os it always says that i have to repair windows xp so can u help me plzz.

What's the error message you're getting? Check out this guide...just read Windows 7 instead of Vista dual-boot-trouble-shooting-guide-vista-running-t92429.html

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby gandalfseridur » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:55 am

hello

I had already made the mistake of installing XP after i had installed windows 7 and consequently wasnt able to boot windows 7. Now i have 3 disks and in win 7 they r as follows:
C,D,E in disk1
F disk 2
G disk 3

i installed win7 in C, and wen i loaded XP CD the D dive was labelled as F but i went with it anyways...however, since i coud not boot back into 7 i stumbled upon this guide...as i had already insatlled win7 i cudonly follow the steps related to vistabootpro with the end result that i have two booting options: Win 7, and RAMDISK....the latter which runs a vista like setup but i didnt bother wid it...so i m now back on win7 but the xp is there....how do i get rid of the RAMdisk or is there still anyway to boot XP?? thanks

PS.i am a novice user, dont know much abt this stuff...also my E, F , G drives have unbacked data so their preservation is a key!
PRO New Member

PreviousNext

Return to Windows Boot Problems