A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Dual Boot Trouble Shooting Guide - XP / Windows 7 Running

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Dual Boot Trouble Shooting Guide - XP / Windows 7 Running

Postby jfail » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:25 pm

See: Dual Boot Trouble Shooting Guide - XP / Windows 7 Running

I am considering purchasing DualBootPro if it will help me with my problem.

I have two hard drives, one is an XP SP3 bootable drive. The other is a Windows 7 bootable drive.

I had the XP drive installed in my computer and working well on SATA 0. In preparation to installing Windows 7 I moved the XP drive to SATA 1. I installed a new hard drive on SATA 0 and installed Windows 7. The install went fine.

When I boot the computer I do not see a multi boot menu. Using BCDEDIT I looked at the configuration file and saw that the XP drive was missing. After viewing several forums explaining BCDEDIT I added entries for the XP drive. On re-booting the XP entry is on the menu but when I select it the computer boots from Windows 7 only. When I changed the XP drive letter in the configuration file I get a missing NTLDR error message.

If I disconnect the Windows 7 drive and reconnect it to the XP drive, the XP drive boots fine so I am sure there is no problem with that drive.

I tried using *stolen software reference* but it did not help the situation.

I saw this post on your forum and apparently there is hope to fix this if I purchase DualBootPro. Will DualBootPro fix my problem????

Could you please go into a little more detail about the following from an earlier post. I am not sure how to apply these steps to my problem.

--------------------------------------------------------
Below is how to locate the ntldr, NTDETECT, and boot.ini while in Windows 7.

1. Open My Computer
2. Click on "Organize" and then click on "Folder and Search Options"
3. Then click on the "View" tab
4. In the list under "Advanced Settings" you need to find "Hide protected operating system files" and uncheck it and then click "Ok"

ON THE XP OR WIN 7 DRIVE?

5. Once back into My Computer open your XP (or Windows 7) drive and you will now see more "protected" files

WHICH ONE IN MY CASE?

6. Select the three files in question and right click and then select "Copy"
7. Go back and open your Windows 7 (or XP) drive and right click and then select paste

WHICH ONE IN MY CASE?

8. Open DualBootPro and go to the "System Bootloader" screen
9. Select "Windows Vista or Windows 7" and then select All Drives
PRO New Member

Re: Dual Boot Trouble Shooting Guide - XP / Windows 7 Running

Postby NT50 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:08 pm

jfail wrote:Below is how to locate the ntldr, NTDETECT, and boot.ini while in Windows 7.

1. Open My Computer
2. Click on "Organize" and then click on "Folder and Search Options"
3. Then click on the "View" tab
4. In the list under "Advanced Settings" you need to find "Hide protected operating system files" and uncheck it and then click "Ok"

ON THE XP OR WIN 7 DRIVE?

files are located on XP drive, instructions are using Windows 7 to find them

jfail wrote: 5. Once back into My Computer open your XP (or Windows 7) drive and you will now see more "protected" files

WHICH ONE IN MY CASE?

Windows 7 (make sure it is running on Sata 0 and booting)

Reference to your software mentioned above was changed due to the author of that software stole the code from us. Please support us in the software we offer, it is superior to the others on the internet.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby jfail » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:22 am

I am puzzled by your last line (reference to your software mentioned above), you are the makers of DualBootPro, right?

Thanks for the info in response to my query. Now I am confused about the software to buy based on the above.
PRO New Member

Postby NT50 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:37 pm

Yes we ARE the makers of VistaBootPro and DualBootPro.

I think you mentioned software made by another person that stole the code from us.
PROfessional Member

Postby HouseRat » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:32 pm

In your example it looks like the Xp pro boot ini partition(2) should have been 1??
Last edited by HouseRat on Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PRO New Member

Postby NT50 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:10 pm

House rat, the rdisk# and partition# all depends on your setup and how your BIOS read the hard drives and partition. I have seen instances the the disk manager in Windows Vista and 7 report the partition# to be one thing but it is actually another. If you know how to use a program loke diskparted or Gparted then you might cna use that to see what your layout actually is.
PROfessional Member

Postby larrysee » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:43 am

Lots of information here, thanks, members and hosts. I want to put WIN7 on the second physical drive of my current XP machine.
1.Looking to the future, so want 64 bit version of W7. Haven't seen any specific info re dual-boot XP 32 and W7 64. So long as they are on different physical drives, is this doable?
2.I assume either OS can read the other drive's data files – correct?
3.If I leave XP on drive 0 and install W7 64 on drive 1, will there be any problems making a single-boot system when I finally clean off the XP drive?
The above is so that data files and stuff like address books can be retrieved after the move.
Thanks for your help!
PRO New Member

Postby NT50 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:00 pm

larrysee wrote:Lots of information here, thanks, members and hosts. I want to put WIN7 on the second physical drive of my current XP machine.
1.Looking to the future, so want 64 bit version of W7. Haven't seen any specific info re dual-boot XP 32 and W7 64. So long as they are on different physical drives, is this doable?
2.I assume either OS can read the other drive's data files – correct?
3.If I leave XP on drive 0 and install W7 64 on drive 1, will there be any problems making a single-boot system when I finally clean off the XP drive?
The above is so that data files and stuff like address books can be retrieved after the move.
Thanks for your help!

1. No problem mixing
2. They will read each other no problem
3. It can be accomplished
PROfessional Member

Postby FichteFoll » Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:54 pm

I have got a problem like jfail.

I had installed Xp before and just installed 7 yesterday. But when I run my pc, no bootselect appears and I can't select Xp anymore. Also at msconfig Win7 seems not to be able to detect Xp.
After that I used the "bcdedit /copy ..." and created a selection named "Windows Xp" on "D:".

I tested Xp, but when I select it there always run a repear-program which just scans something, then reboots and just does the same again.
After I read this thread I checked for the boot.ini on Xp and only found "hiberfil" and "pagefile". On Win7 there is also no boot.ini so I can't change the bootmenu manually.

What should I do to boot at Xp? I won't deinstall 7, but I just want to be able to use Xp. Will it work, if I just copy those hidden files from win 7 partition to xp? (BOOTSECT.BAK, GRLDR, winx.ld, bootmgr, autoexec.bat, config.sys)

Also my Xp is on the 2nd boot drive and I first formatted my C-drive (standart). Then I installed 7 there.

Hopefully you can help me.
PRO New Member

Postby NT50 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:20 pm

Fichtefoll

Do you have DualBootPro?
PROfessional Member

Next

Return to Windows Boot Problems