A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

ok the time is here :) ... new rig setup ... need some ideas :)

Postby EXTREMEoverclocker » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:13 pm

how do you like your P5Q?

.....How can i soar with eagles when im surrounded by turkeys.....
PRO Level 13

Postby yeshuas » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:27 pm

I have only had it a few days so far, but I am happy so far for the most part. It has a ton of OC setting that I haven't messed with yet. I was a bit upset to realize the board wasn't Crossfire ready, so I had to get what is called an Interconnect cables to use Crossfire with my two ASUS EAH 3650 Silent Graphics cards, and to tell you the truth didn't notice any difference since I got the cable to use Crossfire than when I had only the one installed. Windows experience index for Gaming Graphics, only increased from 5.5 to 5.6 with the cable and Crossfire enabled, but all the categories Processor, Ram, Graphics and Harddrive, are 5.9.
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby freeagent » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:04 pm

blodger14 wrote:
freeagent wrote:thats 24/7, i only shut it off to clean it.

why do you leave it on? as far as i know windows gradualy begins to fall apart if you leave it on.

because turning your system on and off all the time is hard on it.. old habits die hard i rekon. ever heard of chip creep? it what happens when you shut your rig off all the time, the expansion and contraction cause things to be unsettled. maybe its not a concern anymore, but i havent run a stock speed system in about 5 or 6 years, better safe then sorry :) i think i saw somewhere that the caps on either my board, or a newer model has a cap life of 5k hours... my rig has wayyy more then that on it heheh. more like 10-15k hours, and 95% it was at 425+fsb heheh :shocked:

its pretty hard on electricity tho, i figure it costs around 12-15 bux a month for pc operation heheh.
i7 970|Noctua NH-D14|Giga UD-5 Rev.1|6GB Adata 2000G|Asus GTX570|Auzentech Prelude|WD64GB SSD/1TB Black|TX850
PRO Level 18

Postby freeagent » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:06 pm

i was going to get a p5q-d, but ended up getting a good deal on a rampage x48, wish i could help, but i have no idea about that board. i know it can do high fsb with a dualcore, but thats about it.

edit, forgot to quote :/

mornings are awsome
i7 970|Noctua NH-D14|Giga UD-5 Rev.1|6GB Adata 2000G|Asus GTX570|Auzentech Prelude|WD64GB SSD/1TB Black|TX850
PRO Level 18

Postby EXTREMEoverclocker » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:52 pm

ya im gonna grab the p5q deluxe like yeshuas has ...
since i can go DDR3 later on down the road ... and also put a quad core in later on down the road ... plus its PCI 2.0 :)

what yall think ... good choice?
im gonna be overclocking this thing as much as possible and heard it was a pretty good OCer ... have you tried anything on it yet yeshuas?

PRO Level 13

Postby yeshuas » Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:26 pm

EXTREMEoverclocker wrote:ya im gonna grab the p5q deluxe like yeshuas has ...
since i can go DDR3 later on down the road ... and also put a quad core in later on down the road ... plus its PCI 2.0 :)

what yall think ... good choice?
im gonna be overclocking this thing as much as possible and heard it was a pretty good OCer ... have you tried anything on it yet yeshuas?

The P5Q Deluxe won't use DDR3 , so you may want to rethink your choice

There are some P5Q boards that will use DDR3 but the P5Q Deluxe is not one of them
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Intel I5-3570K
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby EXTREMEoverclocker » Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:37 am

was just thinking ...

would i be right in saying that the P5Q deluxe is probably one of the best OCing boards out there for its price range ... the $200ish price range...

PRO Level 13

Postby yeshuas » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:54 am

It does have more OC settings than any other board I have had, and the price is not bad.

The only downside and it may be a big one in the not to distant future is the memory. It may be a problem to find the high end DDR2 memory i.e. DDR2 1200

The reason I bought it was I wasn't happy with my P5W DH Deluxe and this board would accept the memory that I had, and utilize the PCI-E 2.0 cards that I had. I haven't seen any great improvement over how the P5W DH Deluxe performed with the same memory and graphics cards. My score with both boards testing with 3DMark06 not enough difference if any.

The one that accepts DDR3 memory in this series is this board
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813131298
if I would have had hindsite I would have bought this one and then waited to buy the DDR3 memory later and then switch out my CPU and graphics cards from the P5W DH Deluxe.
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Intel I5-3570K
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby EXTREMEoverclocker » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:44 pm

that is true Huas but from everything i have heard about that bored it is just a pain in the butt to OC with since there is so many options and everything .... people are having a hard time getting it to post and all sorts of stuff when OCing with it

but what im looking for is a good OCing board ... that can handle dual and quad core (45nm) technology ... and then when nehalem comes out ill buy a cheap quad core from all those people switching and get another year hopefully out of it
Last edited by EXTREMEoverclocker on Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PRO Level 13

Postby yeshuas » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:57 pm

EXTREMEoverclocker wrote:that is true Huas but from everything i have heard about that bored it is just a pain in the butt to OC with since there is so many options and everything .... people are having a hard time getting it to post and all sorts of stuff when OCing with it

but what im looking for is a god OCing board ... that can handle dual and quad core (45nm) technology ... and then when nehalem comes out ill buy a cheap quad core from all those people switching and get another year hopefully out of it

That is probably what my problem is then, I am not very experienced at OC'ing, so when you get yours and get everything running super, you can help me ((((-:
By the way what CPU are you going to use????
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Intel I5-3570K
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

PreviousNext

Return to Hardware and Customizing