A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Router VS Hub

Postby Neuromancer » Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:52 am

Also how many wireless computers can you connectto a wireless router.

The routing tables show up too 100, but I doubt that is the case. (And just general off hand knowledge nothing specific!)

"The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all. I like a little rebellion now and then. It is like a storm in the atmosphere."--Thomas Jefferson
PRO GOLD

Postby OsirisX » Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:55 am

I personally think that depends on the router.
OsirisX

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." - Albert Einstein
PROfessional Member

Postby Neuromancer » Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:59 am

Okay your basic Linksys, Netgear, Belkin 54G wireless router

I didnt feel like looking up individual routers, which was why I posted a general question. I guess when I have time I will look it up

"The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all. I like a little rebellion now and then. It is like a storm in the atmosphere."--Thomas Jefferson
PRO GOLD

Postby twhite56 » Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:34 am

I think that different routers have different capabilities. I think that each router will tell you how many computers can be connected. I don't like wireless routers though, too many problems going through walls, etc. :dontgetit
PROfessional Member

Postby tWeaKmoD » Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:43 am

too many problems going through walls, etc.

Funny story- I was setting up a wireless network for my girlfriend's family this past Christmas because they got DSL. When I was installing the wireless card in my girlfriends computer I stopped to show her uncle how to change some settings in internet explorer. When I opened IE yahoo popped up. I was like WTF?!?! I couldn't figure out what was going on. We did an IP search and found out it was the neighbor. (they live in a trailer park) Come to find out, the neighbor got DSL also and a new wireless kit for Christmas and we were getting his signal. It worked fine and dandy for a few days until he got his encryption working and everything. So this freaked out my GF's dad that someone could be sitting outside using his internet. So I had to convince him that I had it secure and not to worry. He even went as far as to saying he was going to hard-wire the whole house. It took a few days on convincing until he agreed to stick with the wireless. So, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.....
PROfessional Member

Postby Weaver » Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:47 am

Neuromancer wrote:Also how many wireless computers can you connectto a wireless router.

The routing tables show up too 100, but I doubt that is the case. (And just general off hand knowledge nothing specific!)

There is a theoretical limit and a practical limit. As far as a theoretical limit is concerned... I don't know, it is probably implementation dependent. A practical limit is probably somewhere between 10 and 25 per non-overlapping channel. If you are using overlapping channels, this number will go down. Note that there are only 3 802.11b/g channels in FCC 2.4GHz range that do not overlap (have almost no overlap). These are channels 1, 6, and 11. In countries other than the US there might be other channels available. Keep in mind the 10-25 number will also depend on how much traffic each node is generating.

If the routing table you are referring to is the routing table I am thinking of then ignore that. That is a different subject altogether.

As far as speed is concerned. IEEE defines speed grades of 11 Mb/s and 54 Mb/s in their 802.11b and 802.11g standards respectively. These speeds are generally achieved only with strict line of sight, small distances, a single node, and no WEP/WAP overhead.

-Weaver
Public Keys

The primary purpose of the DATA statement is to give names to constants; instead of referring to pi as 3.141592653589793 at every appearance, the variable PI can be given that value with a DATA statement and used instead of the longer form of the constant. This also simplifies modifying the program, should the value of pi change.
-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers
PROfessional Member

Postby Neuromancer » Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:48 am

LOL That is funny

Buddy of mine used to go wardriving just to see what he could find.

Not my cup of tea. If people dont know you tell them, not exploit them.

PRO GOLD

Postby ~Robrowe~ » Wed Mar 31, 2004 2:09 am

Weaver wrote:
Neuromancer wrote:Also how many wireless computers can you connectto a wireless router.

There is a theoretical limit and a practical limit. As far as a theoretical limit is concerned... I don't know, it is probably implementation dependent. A practical limit is probably somewhere between 10 and 25 per non-overlapping channel. If you are using overlapping channels, this number will go down. Note that there are only 3 802.11b/g channels in FCC 2.4GHz range that do not overlap (have almost no overlap). These are channels 1, 6, and 11. In countries other than the US there might be other channels available. Keep in mind the 10-25 number will also depend on how much traffic each node is generating.

If the routing table you are referring to is the routing table I am thinking of then ignore that. That is a different subject altogether.

As far as speed is concerned. IEEE defines speed grades of 11 Mb/s and 54 Mb/s in their 802.11b and 802.11g standards respectively. These speeds are generally achieved only with strict line of sight, small distances, a single node, and no WEP/WAP overhead.

-Weaver

the 802.11g has even stricter distance regulations of 60 ft set by the fcc due to the amount of government agencies operating within the frequency range.
PROfessional Member

Postby OsirisX » Wed Mar 31, 2004 2:13 am

robrowe wrote:
Weaver wrote:

-Weaver

the 802.11g has even stricter distance regulations of 60 ft set by the fcc due to the amount of government agencies operating within the frequency range.

So the 802.11g's signal is actually weaker than b?
OsirisX

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." - Albert Einstein
PROfessional Member

Postby ~Robrowe~ » Wed Mar 31, 2004 2:20 am

Yes it is but the higher frequency allows better reception at lower power levels. It is faster but in order to cover the area better more WAP's are needed. When the G first came out I did some network setups in some hotels for their payperview service changing it from the old 10 VCRS in the basement to streaming media form a server that could be paused but not rewoud( Motion picture industry requiremnet) and you could watch it when ever you wanted. This was a good deal but unfortunately the founder and CEO of the company spent too much money on new harleys and jaguars and ran his company into backruptcy and now is trying to figure out where to get the 1.5 mil that he owes the bank. Anyhow I had to put a WAP in for every 6 rooms to cover the bandwidth and distance requirements. each of them going back to a 10/100 switch on each floor that has fiber uplink from the gb fiber switch in the data closet. I had to allow enough bandwidth to stream to media at 2MB/s to maintain DVD quality.
PROfessional Member

PreviousNext

Return to Hardware and Customizing