A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Router VS Hub

Postby glexp » Wed Mar 31, 2004 4:16 pm

unknowndarknessx wrote:I've seen antennas on compusa.com that was said to extend the range and power of the router 3x. Isn't that gonna be again the rules though, and does it really work?

The design of the antenna can greatly affect the signal strength. This would not necessarily break any FCC rules. Depending on the design (1/2 wave, 1/4 wave, etc.) you could get some pretty decent gains. Most home systems, though, need to co-exist with with portable phones, etc. most of which also use the 2.4Ghz band just like 802.11-b and -g. If you're looking at replacing your antenna, compare the gains. They will be stated in dB. For instance, most Netgear equipment advertise a 2dB gain antenna. Some of their "commercial" units show 5dB....

OK, enough of that from me...this is becoming a HAM radio session rather than a PC forum thread...;)
What, me worry?

- Luck is the residue of proper planning...
PROfessional Member

Postby Neuromancer » Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:01 pm

Actually I have seen kits to buils antennaes for wireless networks using a pringles can or a coffee can that can boost a signal TREMENDOUSLY. I am talking a hundred fold.

Never built one though :(

"The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all. I like a little rebellion now and then. It is like a storm in the atmosphere."--Thomas Jefferson
PRO GOLD

Postby Weaver » Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:16 am

Neuromancer wrote:Actually I have seen kits to buils antennaes for wireless networks using a pringles can or a coffee can that can boost a signal TREMENDOUSLY. I am talking a hundred fold.

Never built one though :(

They work quite well. I have a couple buddies who live in one of the dorms here on campus, we setup a VPN (via SSH tunnelling) between my apartment and their dorm room. Only problem is you need serious line of sight. Nothing can be in the way since the signal has such a narrow cross section. They were on the 20 something floor, I think. We took it down since we didn't use it all that much.

However, I had some interesting ideas. One could make a form of relatively cheap wireless sabotage with these devices. Sort of like directional interference. Picture an office or business that relies on wireless access. Imagine aiming one of these cans at an access point. Aiming 2 of them, 3 of them. Just imagine the interference. Not only that, but you can do it from farther away since the transmission is focused.

Crazy stuff, just a thought.

-Weaver
Public Keys

The primary purpose of the DATA statement is to give names to constants; instead of referring to pi as 3.141592653589793 at every appearance, the variable PI can be given that value with a DATA statement and used instead of the longer form of the constant. This also simplifies modifying the program, should the value of pi change.
-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers
PROfessional Member

Postby ~Robrowe~ » Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:33 am

glexp wrote:
unknowndarknessx wrote:I've seen antennas on compusa.com that was said to extend the range and power of the router 3x. Isn't that gonna be again the rules though, and does it really work?

The design of the antenna can greatly affect the signal strength. This would not necessarily break any FCC rules. Depending on the design (1/2 wave, 1/4 wave, etc.) you could get some pretty decent gains. Most home systems, though, need to co-exist with with portable phones, etc. most of which also use the 2.4Ghz band just like 802.11-b and -g. If you're looking at replacing your antenna, compare the gains. They will be stated in dB. For instance, most Netgear equipment advertise a 2dB gain antenna. Some of their "commercial" units show 5dB....

OK, enough of that from me...this is becoming a HAM radio session rather than a PC forum thread...;)

Just a little added info
The signal strength doubles for every 3dB of gain.
PROfessional Member

Previous

Return to Hardware and Customizing