A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Vista constantly freezes/locks up (Resolved)

Vista constantly freezes/locks up (Resolved)

Postby mmace » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:24 pm

I finally(!) got Vista installed tonight, at the moment I only have my graphics card, monitor, keyboard (PS/2) and mouse (USB) plugged in

in safemode I've managed to install the drivers for my motherboards chipset, the onboard audio card and my graphics card.

When in Vista it keeps freezing, sometimes as soon as it loads the desktop sometimes after 2 minutes (that's the longest it's gone for!)

does anyone have any ideas?

I'm in XP at the moment and can see my Vista drive if anyone knows if there's any logs anywhere that I can find for anyone to look at?

it doesn't freeze in safemode, just when it boots normally
-----------------------
Maff
PRO Level 5

Postby mmace » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:31 pm

scrap the logs idea, just sorted files into time order and no logs etc have been touched for over an hour (in which time it's loaded and crashed about 8 times!)
-----------------------
Maff
PRO Level 5

Postby mmace » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:05 pm

just had it loaded long enough to do auto updates (it downloaded 9 things), wouldn't boot after that 1st time, now will boot but still freezes up!
-----------------------
Maff
PRO Level 5

Postby mmace » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:22 am

quick update...
it sometimes locks up before it actually loads the desktop, when it's a black screen just before it's about to appear

it locks up even if I don't touch or do anything. last night I got it to work for around 5 minutes which is the longest yet but needed to restart it after doing some more auto updates, once it restarted agin it carried on locking up!
-----------------------
Maff
PRO Level 5

Postby The Phoenix » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:29 am

We could do with a full spec of your machine down to the model numbers please, it sounds like you have a piece of hardware that vista is having a problem with. Thanks.
Jamie
ImageImage
PRO Level 15

Postby mmace » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:37 am

yeah, sorry, forgot about that!

Foxconn motherboard 945P7AA-8EKRS2 (tried an old BIOS flash and the latest, same results)
WinFast GeForce 7950GT 256Mb with latest Vista 32 bit drivers (from link on this form)
generic TFT monitor
Samsung SpinPoint 200Gb hard drive (IDE)
Sony BWU-100A blu-ray writer (IDE)
2Gb DDR2 RAM (2x 512Mb & 1x 1025Mb)
Microsoft PS/2 keyboard
generic USB mouse

done the usual (and combinations of):
tried less memory (1x 1024 as well as 1x 512)
tried taking out the BD writer
tried an older GeForce 7300 graphics card
tried a PS/2 mouse that I borrowed for the night
tried turning off USB, Firewire, SATA etc in the BIOS
-----------------------
Maff
PRO Level 5

Postby The Phoenix » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:41 am

Just bear with us please then, hopefully someone with some of this hardware should be along and be able to spot something, nothing seems to stick out like a sore thumb or anything and you seem to have tried the usual troubleshooting steps.

I am curious, what version of vista are you using (OEM/Retail/Upgrade) and what SKU (Home/Home Premium, etc).

Have you also tried a clean install in case you had a bad install ?

Is your media original or did you get the RTM Version ISO and burn it to dvd yourself ?
Jamie
ImageImage
PRO Level 15

Postby mmace » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:50 am

The Phoenix wrote:Just bear with us please then, hopefully someone with some of this hardware should be along and be able to spot something, nothing seems to stick out like a sore thumb or anything and you seem to have tried the usual troubleshooting steps.

I am curious, what version of vista are you using (OEM/Retail/Upgrade) and what SKU (Home/Home Premium, etc).

Have you also tried a clean install in case you had a bad install ?

Is your media original or did you get the RTM Version ISO and burn it to dvd yourself ?
I have Vista Ultimate OEM with original disc, it's a clean installation, I've not put my licence key in yet as I had trouble installing it

I will try installing again tonight if that helps, but I just hope it will install (it took a week to do before!)

cheers
-----------------------
Maff
PRO Level 5

Postby The Phoenix » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:55 am

I would hold off on the reinstall until some other guys have had a look at this. It may not solve your problem and it looks like you have had a few. Did foxconn finally release some proper Vista drivers for your motherboard yet then ?
Jamie
ImageImage
PRO Level 15

Postby mmace » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:10 am

The Phoenix wrote:I would hold off on the reinstall until some other guys have had a look at this. It may not solve your problem and it looks like you have had a few. Did foxconn finally release some proper Vista drivers for your motherboard yet then ?
no, I got them direct from intel
-----------------------
Maff
PRO Level 5

Next

Return to General Windows Support