A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Screensaver won't start

Screensaver won't start

Postby yeshuas » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:20 pm

I have tried to get the screensaver to work without luck. I have even tried changing the power management settings to get the thing to shut off the LCD, none of the time frames work. :bashhead
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Re: Screensaver won't start

Postby augie » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:58 pm

OK, might be a stupid question on my part but it has to be asked. In power management, did you just choose a top power option or did you change it in the 'change plan options' sub-menu? The main categories suck and don't stick in my experience.
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby yeshuas » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:22 pm

augie wrote:OK, might be a stupid question on my part but it has to be asked. In power management, did you just choose a top power option or did you change it in the 'change plan options' sub-menu? The main categories suck and don't stick in my experience.

I have tried all different setting in power management, that is why I am confusedead LOL
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Intel I5-3570K
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby augie » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:45 pm

I don't have X64 loaded but it should'nt be any different than x86. I just tested some scenarios with default 'screensavers' and shutting down the monitor after x time. It all works well, I have no idea.
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
Community Director

Postby yeshuas » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:51 pm

This is on a X86 machine, the one that had the image problem, and I wanted to try to avoid that happening again.

I hate to shut the dumb thing off and restart each time I want to use it, I guess I will just turn the LCD off when I am not using it.
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Intel I5-3570K
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby augie » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:59 pm

yeshuas wrote:This is on a X86 machine, the one that had the image problem, and I wanted to try to avoid that happening again.

I hate to shut the dumb thing off and restart each time I want to use it, I guess I will just turn the LCD off when I am not using it.

Hehe, that's what I basically do, just shut the screen off when I know I'll be away for some time. Screensavers is a bad name IMO, they were originally intended to be phosphor savers but the CRT gun would still work, thereby reducing it's life. Same with LCD screens, the backlight would still be on. I just turn it off as a habit.:)

Community Director

Postby mnemonicj » Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:14 pm

augie wrote:Hehe, that's what I basically do, just shut the screen off when I know I'll be away for some time. Screensavers is a bad name IMO, they were originally intended to be phosphor savers but the CRT gun would still work, thereby reducing it's life. Same with LCD screens, the backlight would still be on. I just turn it off as a habit.:)

Yeah, but I leave my computer not knowing the next time I will be back, so I leave the monitor on waiting for the power scheme to turn it off. You can set the time to power off your monitor after 1 minute if you want.
PRO Level 15

Postby augie » Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:19 pm

mnemonicj wrote:
augie wrote:Hehe, that's what I basically do, just shut the screen off when I know I'll be away for some time. Screensavers is a bad name IMO, they were originally intended to be phosphor savers but the CRT gun would still work, thereby reducing it's life. Same with LCD screens, the backlight would still be on. I just turn it off as a habit.:)

Yeah, but I leave my computer not knowing the next time I will be back, so I leave the monitor on waiting for the power scheme to turn it off. You can set the time to power off your monitor after 1 minute if you want.

Sure, same here as the timers work for me as I sometimes forget to turn it off. Unfortunately Dan's timers didn't work and he's worried that his LCD was burned in. Viewsonic told him to leave it off for an 'extended period' of time, whatever that means, and it should be good to go. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Community Director

Postby yeshuas » Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:33 pm

augie wrote:
mnemonicj wrote:

Sure, same here as the timers work for me as I sometimes forget to turn it off. Unfortunately Dan's timers didn't work and he's worried that his LCD was burned in. Viewsonic told him to leave it off for an 'extended period' of time, whatever that means, and it should be good to go. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Well the LCD has straightened out, (left it off for a little over a day).

Like Augie said none of the timers seem to work, screensaver, power management timers nothing.
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Intel I5-3570K
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby tallboy367 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:10 pm

If these keys exist - delete all; They intercept calls to screensaver start. Check for this under all ControlSet(s).

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Nls\MUILanguages\RCV

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Nls\MUILanguages\RCV

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet004\Control\Nls\MUILanguages\RCV

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Nls\MUILanguages\RCV
PRO New Member

Return to General Windows Support