A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Dual boot error with XP "cannot verify digital signature of ntoskrnl.exe"

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Dual boot error with XP "cannot verify digital signature of ntoskrnl.exe"

Postby pdschu » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:44 am

I have installed Vista on drive 0 and it boots up and works fine. I have XP on drive 1 in partition 1 and it will boot up and work fine IF I use this drive as the only drive by unhooking the IDE cable from the Vista drive, changing the BIOS, etc. I have read many of the posts in this forum but have not seen the error message "cannot verify digital signature of ntoskrnl.exe". I have copied the three files from XP to Vista C: drive : boot.ini, ntldr, and ntdetect.com.
The boot.ini shows the XP to be on drive 1 partition 1.
I have used VistaBootPro to set up for the dual boot. The boot choices do show up at boot but the choice for XP always leads to the error message above. I haven't figured how to paste a copy of the VistaBootPro data or how to send a screen capture as I have seen in other posts. The Message box does not seem to allow pasting.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!!

Paul
PRO New Member

Postby kd1966 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:49 am

Hi and welcome to PROnetworks! It seems you may have installed Vista while you had your XP drive disconnected or vice versa.....?? Please hang on for a link to a thread where you can attempt to fix this
Enjoy the site!

EDIT:

Try this link: http://www.pro-networks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=84455
PRO PLATINUM

Postby pdschu » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:17 am

Thanks for the prompt response. I will try this tomorrow and report back.

Where can I read about how to include a screen shot with a post?

Again many thanks.
PRO New Member

Postby augie » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:37 pm

pdschu wrote:Thanks for the prompt response. I will try this tomorrow and report back.

Where can I read about how to include a screen shot with a post?

Again many thanks.

Just upload to a free hosting site like imageshack.us and copy and paste a thumb into the body of the post.
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby pdschu » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:50 pm

I have followed the directions down to running the VistaBootPro but this wil not run and consistently gets an initilization error even after reinstall or repair.
The post does not say but am I to reboot into Vista after step 4 and then run the VistaBootPro from within Vista? Maybe VBPro won't run in XP.

Thanks.

Paul
PRO New Member

Return to Windows Boot Problems