A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

PCI Express, What Do You Think?

PCI Express, What Do You Think?

Postby UjusME » Sun Mar 14, 2004 7:21 pm

With the new PCI Express coming later this year. I curious as to what your thoughts were on this new technology. Will you be upgrading to it when it comes out or is it worth it. Here is a link to a picture from TomsHardware Guide.

http://www20.tomshardware.com/graphic/20040310/images/nv-idf1.jpg

You can read the full article HERE
Last edited by UjusME on Sat Mar 20, 2004 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
PRO Level 8

Postby OsirisX » Sun Mar 14, 2004 8:22 pm

It looks promising, expecially the 8gigs compared to the 2 gig bandwith for the video card.
OsirisX

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." - Albert Einstein
PROfessional Member

Postby UjusME » Sun Mar 14, 2004 9:19 pm

I would like to see how it performs when it is finally in production and so are the motherboards that accept it. :yesnod:
PRO Level 8

Postby OsirisX » Sun Mar 14, 2004 9:28 pm

The thing that I'm most worried about is the price considering how expensive the sound and video cards are.
OsirisX

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." - Albert Einstein
PROfessional Member

Postby UjusME » Sun Mar 14, 2004 9:38 pm

Price will be a big factor when it first comes out. But I'm sure there will be a budget one available though. :yesnod:
PRO Level 8

Postby ZeroByte » Sun Mar 14, 2004 10:55 pm

Like any new technology it first needs to become mainstream and standard before the price drops. Demand is going to play a big factor in this technology.
ZeroByte
PRO Level 15

Postby OsirisX » Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:56 am

Take SATA hds for example, they are almost the same price as ata hds.
OsirisX

PROfessional Member

Postby Weaver » Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:32 am

unknowndarknessx wrote:It looks promising, expecially the 8gigs compared to the 2 gig bandwith for the video card.

Your reply is reminiscent of most slashdot posts, you haven't read the article have you?

The article goes to great length to show that the added "bandwidth" of PCI Express is not going to have an effect on the graphics card market. Hell, a card on an AGP4x bus shows almost no increase in speed when moved to an AGP8x bus.

This is due to the nature of the graphics cards for PC's. The PC is a modern marvel of inefficiency. High speed end nodes (peripherals) with slow interconnects (busses). There are plenty of excellent articles available on the web that show in great detail the problems with current PC trends. The Playstation 2 architecture is an example of almost obscene efficiency if you want to read about it.

In the end, PCI Express is a step in the right direction due to the fact that it provides a higher speed, channelable (in the form of lanes) interconnect. This is a step in the right direction but the PC will remain an inefficient machine for as long as it is profitable.

-Weaver
Public Keys

The primary purpose of the DATA statement is to give names to constants; instead of referring to pi as 3.141592653589793 at every appearance, the variable PI can be given that value with a DATA statement and used instead of the longer form of the constant. This also simplifies modifying the program, should the value of pi change.
-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers
PROfessional Member

Postby OsirisX » Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:39 am

I've read most of the article, although I can't find the spot where they mention that the bandwith increase will not increase the performance of the video card.
OsirisX

PROfessional Member

Postby Weaver » Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:47 am

unknowndarknessx wrote:I've read most of the article, although I can't find the spot where they mention that the bandwith increase will not increase the performance of the video card.

Specifically pages 2 - 4. Clearly stated with graphical benchmarks as well. Here is the final "conclusion."

Conclusion? The tests show that there's no real difference in today's applications between AGP 4x and 8x. So if we can't see any difference between 1GB/s and 2GB/s bandwidth, then you really won't find any improvements if you scale it to 4GB/s with PCI Express. Maybe different latency times of the buses can make a difference but it looks like PCI Express won't accelerate anything for graphics.

Thus, my statement is coherent with article. The thing I did not mention was latency, which might prove to realistically (as oppose to theoretically) have an affect on performance.

Be sure to read the article for a complete description.

-Weaver
Public Keys

The primary purpose of the DATA statement is to give names to constants; instead of referring to pi as 3.141592653589793 at every appearance, the variable PI can be given that value with a DATA statement and used instead of the longer form of the constant. This also simplifies modifying the program, should the value of pi change.
-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers
PROfessional Member

Next

Return to Hardware and Customizing