A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

not able to install linux

not able to install linux

Postby hopelessly_addictive » Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:52 pm

Hey guys,
I tried installing red hat linux on my laptop which is a dell inspiron 8600 wth mobile centrino processor. After installation when i reboot, I dont see any displlay on my screen....can anyone help me on this??
Thanks.
hopeless
oops...forgot to mention...also means...i dont know how to get rid of linuxx now!!
PRO New Member

Postby OsirisX » Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:54 pm

Moved from general help, PMed.
OsirisX

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." - Albert Einstein
PROfessional Member

Postby kepreon » Fri Jul 09, 2004 2:05 am

What happens after the computer goes through BIOS? Does the screen just go black, or does it show a bootloader at all? Did you install one?
PRO Level 2

Postby Hugo van Dijk » Fri Jul 09, 2004 7:05 am

i see you have an laptop ,laptops have an funtion in there bios called legacy usb support or something like this, you should dissable this, redhat can,t handel with this function

(legacy usb = with this function you can boot an usb harddrive or cdrom on start up)
PROfessional Member

Postby hopelessly_addictive » Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:10 pm

it shows the bootloads...loads everything...and then when it comes to the GUI....nothing on the screen,...sometimes ugly RGB lines....but otherthan that nothing....finally i did manage to get the linux off my computer...it was whole big mess.....just formatted that partition...but to my horror...could not get a boot screen....the master boot record was modified by linux and it still kept looking for that....finally used my XP CD...made it fix the MBR and now it boots like normal...my adventures with Linux are kinda over now!!!...thanks guys
PRO New Member

Postby kepreon » Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:22 pm

Linux didn't work terribly great on my laptop. I ran Mandrake, and still, every so often, when I went to shut down, the screen would glaze over with ugly RGB lines...I finally did get ACPI to work in Mandrake, but it didn't in Gentoo. My friend installed Linux on her laptop and it works fine, but I didn't have such great luck with my Dell Inspiron 1100...
PRO Level 2

Postby Hugo van Dijk » Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:34 pm

acpi works good on my laptop, in al linux distro,s it worked (what i tried)
PROfessional Member

Postby b47mae » Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:56 am

When messing around with linux I would recommend that you install it on a spare computer something that doesnt make a difference if you have to breakdown and reformat the hardrive. Being that linux will usually run on anything find an old PC somewhere and use that.
Peace
PRO Level 2

Postby Mickilus » Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:06 am

What I would recommend is just starting with Live CD boots. There is nothing permanent unless you make it that way. Also, dual booting is a great idea just in case somthing goes wrong with either OS. (windows as the other os)
Mick

Just Got A iPAQ from work too!!!
500 gmail invites left! PM me for a few.
PRO Level 2

Postby SlamFT » Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:35 pm

hey, i run red hat fedora core 2, and i used to install linux directly, but i found VMWare, a virtual machine software, it is really cool and if some goes wrong you can always just delete the files and you rmain OS will stay cool, here is a link to the free trial software http://vmware.com/ it works, me and my fellows have tested it ;-)
Programming is in the bottom of everything, If you know any language, you own everything.
PRO New Member

Next

Return to Other Operating Systems