A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Longhorn won't fit on CD-R!!!

Postby Bayman » Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:37 pm

Wassat? sombody say Alcohol ? :cheerswine:
Don't waste it. I'll look after it! ^*^
I'm not sure about overburning, most people seem to get through a load of CDs that way.
I invested in some 90 min (800mb) CDRs after a similar discussion and mine burned 1st time on nero.
The other disks in the pack won't be wasted I can always use a Blank CD.
Hang in there computerwiz LH is worth playing with!

~Bayman~
PRO Level 4

Postby OsirisX » Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:42 pm

I personally think that the best way to install is to use a virtual drive, no extras are needed, and you won't ever need to look for the lh cd again.
OsirisX

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." - Albert Einstein
PROfessional Member

Postby Mac33 » Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:59 pm

Hmmmmmmm that's a very good point :yesnod:
PROfessional Member

Postby albchong » Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:03 pm

I did a google on virtual cd and got this http://bink.nu/DesktopModules/ArticleDe ... icleID=899
It talks about an unsupported piece of software from Microsoft - ie try at your peril. But it is free.
PROfessional Member

Postby OsirisX » Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:10 pm

The daemon tool is probably the best and it is free.
http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/portal/portal.php
OsirisX

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." - Albert Einstein
PROfessional Member

Postby ~Robrowe~ » Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:19 pm

Another alternative yet is to create 3 primary partitions. Partition 1 contains your primary OS, partition 2 is the target for your LH installation and partition 3 being just big enough to hold the extracted ISO (1GB is more than sufficient. Use WINRAR to extract the ISO image to the 1 GB partition. When finished right click on that drive>explore then double click on setup(this is done from within your current OS) the first part of setup will begin and copy the setup files to the partition(partition2) then reboot and resume installation. Works like a charm. :yesnod:
PROfessional Member

Postby Computerwiz2489 » Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:40 pm

The problem is Partition Magic 8 keeps giving me that it can't lock the hard disk when it tries to create another partiton.
I deleted the longhorn ISO image and the RARs. Seeing they took up so much space. (nearly 2.1 gigs)
I also removed partition magic 8.
*sigh* I think i've lost my patience for computers... nothing seems to work right anymore... or at least maybe its because my computer got the blaster worm. Geez those things move into your laptop fast! firewalls have like become a nessessity rather than just an optional tool.
I don't really feel like tinkering around with my laptop anymore. It makes me sick. Maybe i'll become interested in Longhorn again in August like I did last year LOL.
But til then, I think i'll just kick back and relax. Thanks for all the help guys. :notworthy
PRO Level 15

Postby OsirisX » Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:47 pm

Did you get the latest update for PM?
http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/files/ ... files.html
OsirisX

PROfessional Member

Postby Computerwiz2489 » Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:16 am

Because I think I already went over my 6GB bandwidth cap :oops:
oh well its a done deal. I can't help it. I'm the only one in my family and one of two people who know about computers. Everyday its a war for support so I get frustrated. I say, for every dollar gave me when I help someone with their problemos i would have made nearly $600
PRO Level 15

Postby Michaels » Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:16 pm

sorry for your trouble, but i think you gave up so soon. we have not exhausted our knowledge
PROfessional Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Windows Support