A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

IE 7 Beta Installation/Uninstall Experience

IE 7 Beta Installation/Uninstall Experience

Postby NT50 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:12 am

Well, let me start at this point. I had to make a trip out of town and in order to get internet access, I had to uninstall NOD and install Norton. I also had to install Cisco Access software.
For the class I took, I had to install Autodesk Inventor 3D software. I kneew when I got hoem I woudl do a total reformat so I decided to paly around some.

I installed the latest beta of IE7. The install went without a hitch. I was impressed. I then decided to do a total scan with Spysweeper, for rootkits and all. Spysweeper found some hiddenfiles that were out of the ordanary and a rootkit that it did not find the day before. So I let Spysweeper do its job. After a reboot, I coudl not access anything on my network except for the internet. I then uninstalled IE 7 beta and still could not access the network. I then reinstalled IE and still to no avail on accessing the network.

This was a problem for me since I was to do a total wipe out and I needed to backup my data. I had to get an USB hard drive to backup the data.

I never did get my network back. I totally wiped out the hard drive.

any ideas on what would have caused this?
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby kd1966 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:15 am

I heard you mention the name Norton..........................
PRO PLATINUM

Postby NT50 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:28 am

kd1966 wrote:I heard you mention the name Norton..........................

yea yea yea....

Do you want to know how MAD I was when they said you HAVE to have Norton in order to have access to the internet...... this was University Tennessee at Chattanooga .........
PROfessional Member

Postby NT50 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:30 am

And BTW I uninstalled Norton and installed NOD32 as soon as I left the college.
PROfessional Member

Postby kd1966 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:46 am

Good for you..............lol
PRO PLATINUM

Postby JabbaPapa » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:40 am

Another possibility is that the IE7 Beta is designed to make some anonymous feedback to MS, for testing purposes only, and it's easily possible that your software may have deleted those files --- trouble is, on a machine using the IE7 Beta, they would be actual basic system files, given that IE is so basically entrenched into the XP version of Windows, and the Spysweeper may have inadvertently trashed the OS for you ... :question
PRO VETERAN

Postby Synaptic » Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:21 am

Just a question, did you use the corporate Symantec Antivirus Corporate? Because I'm aware that uninstalling the current version of the corporate version is giving me headaches on all of my machines.

Apart from that, IE7 might be throwing up errors. You could have attempted to reinstall the TCP/IP protocol if the computer was connecting to the network but just not able to connect to anything. But anyway, since you formatted the machine, it doesnt really matter :)
"Know this, you can cut me off from the civilized world, you can incarcerate me with two moronic cell mates, you can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you can not break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delievered from this feted and festering sewer." - Charles Emerson Winchester, III, M*A*S*H
PRO Level 11

Postby The Phoenix » Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:09 pm

It's Norton all right ..... would not touch thing with a 50ft Barge Pole at the moment, thing is it used to be good 5 or 6 years ago, god knows what they did since then.

Thing with Norton is 1. It does'nt catch anything and a lot of the time picks up on stuff and deletes files for stuff that it should never touch, 2. It seems a little heavy in system resources much of the time and of course theirs 3. It's a right little b"%$%%!% to get off cos it leaves behind all sorts of stuff and damages your system causing you to prob do a full wipe and reinstall anyhow, Norton is also very picky with networks and stuff and it was probably dening access to you in order to protect you from yourself even after you have added it to your trusted lists, it still does it. Pesky little bugger.
Jamie
ImageImage
PRO Level 15

Return to Alpha / Beta Software