A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Can't Access USB Printer from Virtual PC 2007

Can't Access USB Printer from Virtual PC 2007

Postby bbarry » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:17 pm

I just installed VPC 2007 with Vista-64 as host and XP-Pro as guest. My printer is connected to the host PC via USB and is then shared across my home LAN. Since VPC does not recognize USB connections, there is no printer listed in the guest Device Manager. Therefore I can't install an XP printer driver on my guest.

I would appreciate any suggetions on how to make this work.

Thanks in advance.............Bill
PRO Level 3

Re: Can't Access USB Printer from Virtual PC 2007

Postby Grav!ty » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:24 am

I don't know if there's a free version of VMWare but I suspect one will find far greater hardware support on VMWare than on Virtual PC. I stopped using Virtual PC because of the very limited hardware configuration it offers. One would expect that there be various hardware configs one can choose from. Virtual PC does not provide USB emulation except on the version that runs on MAC OS. Go figure!

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Re: Can't Access USB Printer from Virtual PC 2007

Postby bbarry » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:20 pm

Gravity, I finally got it to work by following these instructions provided (by SBoots) on another forum:

"You will need to share the printer on the host as a network printer via File and Printer Sharing and then add the printer in the guest OS by selecting network printer. The shared printer should appear and you can then install the requested drivers if there are no generic drivers for that printer available. "

But I was already looking into VMWare as an alternative. Thanks for your input
PRO Level 3

Return to General Windows Support