A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Windows Home Server - Topics of Interest

Postby shreader » Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:54 pm

For any members that are wanting to purchase a prebuilt WHS box here is a extensive review on the:
HP MediaSmart Server EX475 - Hands On Review
Software Director

Postby NT50 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:55 pm

Just to let a few of the readers know and it was also pointed out to me, the last set of WHS updates requires restarts. A list of major updates can be seen here at MSWHS.com website. I actually had to restart my computer 3 times to get it to work properly.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby shreader » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:23 pm

Vista SP1 RC Faster with Windows Home Server
December 7, 2007
Software Director

Postby NT50 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:08 pm

I come upon a Sys Volume error today. I noticed past few days I coudl not log in from my workstation and was wondering why but yet it was still backing up. SO today I got the erro message , runa repair on the hard drive it told me to, rebooted and everythign seem sto be fine now.

I will be keeping a closer eye on this thing now....
PROfessional Member

Postby shreader » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:15 pm

:bump:

Today I finished setting up a new Test Rig w/ XP Pro & Server 2008 (as a Desktop OS) & installed the WHS Connector software in XP.

That PC backed up & now I have that Test Rigs OS's backed up for safety & in case I need one of them for testing on another partition, all I need to do is just restore it there.

I am fortunate that I have not had any problems w/ WHS :no
Software Director

Postby Grav!ty » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:55 am

Congrats JD ^*^ By the way, what's up with the Windows Home Server issues that were reported? Have they been resolved or are they ongoing? What exactly were they anyway?

I just checked on MSDN and there's still no sign of it there. I thought it would be posted there by now already. Although I understand it's a home user/consumer thing, I think techies need access to it to know what it's about. Actually I just want a freebie of it to be honest :lol:

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby shreader » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:34 am

My guess now is that MSDN wont have it until after PP1 is released so the Data Corruption Bug will be fixed.

1) Status of Power Pack 1 shipping
ATM the home server team has a current estimate of June, 2008 for PP1.

When Power Pack 1 ships, the Windows Home Server Connector will be able to be installed on home computers running Windows Vista x64 editions.
http://blogs.technet.com/homeserver/arc ... ack-1.aspx

2) Data Corruption Issue Q&A
March 10, 2008
Software Director

Postby NT50 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:42 am

Well so far I have not had any issues, but then again I do nothing more than backup my desktops and store files on it via shared folder access. Yes I do use the internet to transfer files also but so far no problems. I am waiting for them to release SP1 before I punish it. I woudl really like to install my Quickbooks on it and share between two computers but I can not take a chance right now.
PROfessional Member

Postby shreader » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:52 pm

Same here, no problems at all, I also only use it for basic Home Server tasks like you.

I don't edit files on the server (Like on a normal commercial server) which it sounds like is causing some of the problems people are having.

This AM I tried installing a complete OS backup (Vista HP) to another PC w/ a different Hdd type (PATA>SATA) & size partition. Afterwords I used VBP to get the OS to show-up in the boot menu & ran a System Restore (2x) from the Vista DVD, but no joy. That test failed.
Software Director

Postby shreader » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:21 am

It appears that the WHS Team will be having a public Power Pack 1 Beta starting in May:

Todd Headrick wrote:As promised, I said I would provide an update when a decision was made. Please read today's blog post onthe Windows Home Server blog.

http://blogs.technet.com/homeserver/arc ... ack-1.aspx

While the decision was made to hold Power Pack 1 for the fix for KB #946676, there is a broad public beta planned for Power Pack 1 in May.

&

The details are still being worked out. You have completed the necessary first step of getting signed up on Microsoft Connect. The Power Pack 1 beta will likely be a new program that you will need to accept a EULA to participate in that will be available off of the Windows Home Server connect site.
Software Director

PreviousNext

Return to General Windows Support