A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

VistaBootPro installs third party software! Why?

Forum rules
This forum is meant for support of PRO Software only. PROnetworks reserves the right to edit any topic title to better explain the contents of a post. We also may move your post to a more suitable forum if necessary.

It may take our support staff up to 24 hours to respond to your problem. We appreciate your patience.

VistaBootPro installs third party software! Why?

Postby thirdparty » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:24 am

Has any one stopped to read the legalese in the VistaBootPro installation? It states that the user agrees to have third party software installed on their PC. What is this all about? What third party software is being installed and why does ProNetworks fail to elaborate on what they are doing installing other software other than VistaBootPro?
PRO New Member

Postby NT50 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:29 am

VistaBootPro is the third party software.

It does require NET 2.0

There is nothing else installed but that.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby jbullard » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:32 am

thirdparty,

Welcome to PROnetworks and when you get a chance stop by our Intro Area and tell us a little about yourself.

After reading your question I don't understand what you are talking about. VistaBootPRO EULA specifically states what third-party software will be installed. Here is the excerpt out of the EULA where is can be found.

VistaBootPRO EULA wrote:2. THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE

Certain third party software and images included with the Software are subject to additional terms and conditions imposed by the third party copyright holder(s). Windows Vista, bcdedit.exe, bootsect.exe and Windows as well as certain images used are all registered trademarks of the Microsoft Corporation, with all appropriate Licenses and Copyright held by and owned by the aforesaid. HSO is totally independent of the Microsoft Corporation.

The third-party software, as it states above, is bcdedit.exe and bootsect.exe which are copyrighted Microsoft products. These files are needed in order to ensure VistaBootPRO works accordingly as this is part of the new Vista bootloader.

I hope this gives you a better understanding and if you still have additional questions please let us know.

HTH,
Jason
VP - Software

Postby thirdparty » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:34 am

>> VistaBootPro is the third party software.

That doesn't make any sense. The term "third party" always refers to some entity other than the one speaking. The installation license never says "VistaBootPro is the third party in the license below".
PRO New Member

Postby jbullard » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:35 am

thirdparty,

Please see my post above which explains it in further detail.

Jason
VP - Software

Postby thirdparty » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:37 am

>> VistaBootPRO EULA specifically states what third-party software will be installed.

That's false. There is nothing in the EULA that says, "bcdedit.exe, bootsect.exe" is being installed. "bcdedit.exe, bootsect.exe " are already installed, so why would VistaBootPro be installing items that are already installed when Vista was installed?
PRO New Member

Postby jbullard » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:40 am

VistaBootPRO does not always create these files. During normal statup of the application VistaBootPRO checks for bcdedit.exe and bootsect.exe. If these files do not reside on your PC, deleted for whatever reason, VistaBootPRO will automatically recreate the files for you. This will save the user a lot of troubles in the long run.

I can see where you are coming from; however, if we remove the installation of those two files when they are not found then VistaBootPRO will not function properly.

Does that explain it a little better?
VP - Software

Postby NT50 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:41 am

bcdedit.exe, bootsect.exe are Vista files. When you install VBP in XP it has to install the files in order for it to work in XP
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby jbullard » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:47 am

thirdparty,

Just letting you know I moved this to the PROnet Developed Software area.

Jason
VP - Software

Postby thirdparty » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:47 am

>> Does that explain it a little better?

I think the EULA needs to be rewritten by a layman, and not a lawyer. Many freebie apps are free because they include spyware, adware, search toolbars, etc. This is what 'third party software' conjures up when I see it in a EULA.
PRO New Member

Next

Return to PRO Software