A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Dual Boot Problems

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Dual Boot Problems

Postby gordoncanada » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:40 pm

Hello,
I have been experimenting with different configurations of dual-booting. A few days ago, I did a clean install of Windows 7 Professional 64 bit (booted from the DVD). There was an XP and a Windows 7 Home Premium (all with legal purchased serial numbers) on other hard drives. After installation, niether 32 bit OS would boot. The 32 bit Home Premium OS came back after selecting "boot from last known good configuration," but it has a Windows Vista boot up screen (green progress bar) rather than the Windows 7 screen with the four petals coming together. The XP would not reboot no matter what I did.
Now I'm afraid to try to create a dual boot system.
After the installation, the "system" partition switched from the XP to the new 64 bit OS. Running the diagnostics on DualBoot Pro did not help.

What might have happened? Should the 32 bit OS be reinstalled? What's the best way to do that without causing further problems? How can I use DualBoot Pro to recover the Operating System if something goes wrong?

I have an HP m7350n with 4 gigs of RAM.

Thanks, Gord
PRO New Member

Return to Windows Boot Problems