A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

DB XP/Vista Worked - Moved XP to Raid0 & now XP won't boot

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

DB XP/Vista Worked - Moved XP to Raid0 & now XP won't boot

Postby GrayWolfShaman » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:31 pm

Hi folks,

Here's my issue:

I had installed VistaBootPro 3.3 and was successfully dual booting my PC with Vista SP1 on D: drive (300GB sata hd) and Win XP Pro SP3 on C: drive (74 GB sata hd). According to Disk Manager (and my bios) my E: drive which I use for data only, no OS (300GB sata hd), is my "system" drive. It is on this drive that I have Win XP's boot.ini, bootmgr, and ntldr files, along with Vista's BOOT folder and BCD file. As I said, this set up was working perfectly.

Then I made a full backup image of XP onto partition 2 of an external Sata HD using Apricorn EZ Gig 2. Next I installed an Adaptec 2405 Raid controller card and created a Raid 0 array using two 74 GB sata hd (one the original XP drive I backed up and the other an old copy of Vista). Finally, I booted into Vista so that I could RESTORE the XP image to the newly created array.

Disk Manager shows the Raid 0 array as Disk 3 and labels it my "new" C: drive. I restored XP to the array and it appears healthy. (Follow "link" below to see pic taken from Vista).

BUT - now I can no longer boot into XP. If I select the XP OS description from the OS "choice" screen (I had removed the XP OS from VistaBootPro before I backed up XP but have since added the new C: XP OS back), I get a "missing or corrupt HAL.dll" error. I have expanded and copied the HAL.dl_ file to the C:\windows\system32\ folder but this made no difference. I suspect that there may be a problem with my boot.ini file now that XP is on the RAID 0 array, even though it has the same drive letter - C: - that it did before.

Here is the code for my boot.ini file, located on my E: (system) drive:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(3)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(3)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /FASTDETECT

Does the "multi" need to be "scsi"?
Does the "rdisk" need to be different, even though Drive Manager shows the array as "Disk 3"?
What about the "disk" number? Should it change?

Or is my problem unrelated to the boot.ini file?

Help, please. :yesnod: I hope this is enough information to assist any would be puzzle solvers out there!

I've included a screenshot of Disk Manager and I've pasted my BCD Registry below. Thanks again!

~ GrayWolfShaman

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {bootmgr}
device partition=E:
default {current}
resumeobject {31061df1-7ae3-11dd-b1bf-806e6f6e6963}
displayorder {current}
{ntldr}
timeout 30

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {current}
device partition=D:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Win Vista Business SP1 300GB WD Velociraptor
osdevice partition=D:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {31061df1-7ae3-11dd-b1bf-806e6f6e6963}

Resume from Hibernate
---------------------
identifier {31061df1-7ae3-11dd-b1bf-806e6f6e6963}
device partition=D:
path \Windows\system32\winresume.exe
description Windows Vista (TM) Business (recovered)
inherit {resumeloadersettings}
filedevice partition=D:
filepath \hiberfil.sys
pae Yes
debugoptionenabled No

Windows Memory Tester
---------------------
identifier {memdiag}
device partition=E:
path \boot\memtest.exe
description Windows Memory Diagnostic

Windows Legacy OS Loader
------------------------
identifier {ntldr}
device partition=C:
path \ntldr
description Win XP Pro SP3 138GB WD Raptor Raid 0

*******wwwDOTsharethelightproductionsDOTcom/graywolfshaman/diskmanager/screenshotDOT10DOTjpg******** for picture of disk manager
PRO New Member

Return to Windows Boot Problems