A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

XP after VISTA (Resolved)

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

XP after VISTA (Resolved)

Postby Thargorin » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:51 pm

Hello All,

i have a big problem with my new laptop. it has a preinstalled vista home prem version. the fact that a few progs I need aren
PRO New Member

Postby kd1966 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:06 am

Hello and welcome to PROnetworks! We're going to need a few things from you, information wise on your setup. Please post (From Vista) your Disk Mgmt console and also download/install/run VistaBootPRO 3.1 and post the output of the "Settings" screen.
Just from prior experience, what happened was initially by installing XP, you killed the Vista bootloader, but when you "repaired" using the Vista DVD, you got back your Vista, but lost XP becuase likely the Vista repair got confused or something.
Confirm you only have ONE HDD as well; enjoy the site!
PRO PLATINUM

Postby Hippo6 » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:58 am

Hello,

I hope Thargorin hase cleared his problems, but my is the same theme.
First: Excuse please, my english is not so good and it could lead to misunderstandings...

But I try to explain my probs in easy words:

Notebook with preinstalled Vista Home Premium, no A: but optional 256MB-USB-Stick,
S-ATA HD160GB
- boot C(Vista):~100GB
- new NTFS primary F(XP):~30GB
- D(Recovery):~22GB

I want to get after active Vista now XP Pro to my new F-partition and multiboot with option to boot XP Pro.

Tried with XP-install from CD, but every install hangs on reboot after choice "Boot from CD...Press ENTER) with funny sprayed colored letters on screen.
Reboot from XP with ignored CD or without CD give same funny effect. Note: There is no bootmanager for use. (?)

Repairing with Vista-DVD... -> Old bootmanager back -> Boot on Vista!
Checked: XP/Windows-Data is written on F:

Diagnostic with VistaBootPRO3.1BETA found (?) "Earlier Windows.." and built and saved a new entry for XP directed to F:, but I forgot that there is no \ntldr to load...!(?).
It doesn't work :(

Can anyone tell me in easy words what is the fault?
Which steps have I to do to get it clean work.
I'm not firm with bcdedit. If it is to use I need help step for step, but the fear will be with me.

And I wouldn't like to do a new Vista-install because it runs clean and my Window Mail and its settings are ok.

Help urgent needed and my thanks are sent for.
Bye, Hippo6
PRO New Member

Postby NT50 » Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:35 pm

Hippo6

You need to turn off hide system files and folders and seach for your boot.ini, ntldr, and NTDETECT. To be on the safe side when you find them copy them to both your C: and F: drive (Vista Drive and XP drive). If you can not find the ntldr and NTDETECT then you can copy them from your XP install disk.

If that does not work then post back
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby Hippo6 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:41 pm

NT50 wrote:You need to turn off hide system files and folders and seach for your boot.ini, ntldr, and NTDETECT. To be on the safe side when you find them copy them to both your C: and F: drive (Vista Drive and XP drive). If you can not find the ntldr and NTDETECT then you can copy them from your XP install disk.

Hello NT50,

sorry for waiting - Worked! Thank you!
But there was much work to find the working XP-CD.
At this time a XP Home recovery, because my PRO is an old one...
And I'm very happy that the Vista-Recovery of my Notebook contained also XP-driver. So I had not to search for.

Bye, Eike
PRO New Member

Postby NT50 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:35 am

Glad you got it going, don't forget about us.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Return to Windows Boot Problems