A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

2 boot menus? (Resolved)

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

2 boot menus? (Resolved)

Postby zak_mckraken » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:01 am

Hello,
With the help of your forum, I was finally able to configure my dual boot correctly! Thanks a lot guys! I had some trouble finding the info I needed (to copy boot.ini, ntldr and ntdetect on BOTH drives) but it was really worth it.

Now I have a less important problem but I'd still like to solve it and I can't see to find anyone with this problem:

1- I have XP and Vista on 2 different drives.
2- I configured my BCD to load Vista by default and XP second.
3- I choose XP and then I have a second boot menu with "Windows XP Media Center" which works and "Windows" which doesn't work.

I can't remove the second entry which doesn't work!? I tried to modify both boot.ini but they are already set with only the first entry. Where do that "Windows" entry come from? How can I remove it?

Thanks again for your help :)

Edited by NT50: Changed Subject Line
PRO New Member

Postby kd1966 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:04 am

Hi and welcome to PROnetworks! You should be able to boot to XP and open your "System Configuration" utility (MSCONFIG) and under the BOOT.INI tab, click the "CHECK ALL BOOT PATHS" button....... that should remove any invalid entries. Enjoy the site!
PRO PLATINUM

Postby zak_mckraken » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:34 am

Thanks kd1966. While your suggestion didn't exactly solve my problem, it did made me realize that the default boot line in my boot.ini wasn't the same as the Windows Media Center line (rdisk(#) and disk(#) were inverted). Correcting this solved the problem!

I could as well have reinstalled XP and save a lot of time but there is nothing like learning! ;)

I think you sould make a little step by step guide to dual booting and make it sticky on this forum, it would help a lot of people like me out there!

Thanks again :)
PRO New Member

Postby NT50 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:35 pm

zak_mckraken wrote:I think you sould make a little step by step guide to dual booting and make it sticky on this forum, it would help a lot of people like me out there!

Thanks again :)

Guides are here

And

Vista Installation Guide

:)
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Return to Windows Boot Problems