A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

BooT Manager

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

BooT Manager

Postby darco » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:11 am

I recently attempted to dual boot my Laptop w/Vista and XP. After failing to fix the issue w/the XP boot up, I now would like to reformat the XP partition and use Vista exclusively. My concern is after running VBR it shows the Boot Manager on drive D: and that is the partition I would like to format.
Can I reformat this drive w/o causing any problems w/Vista boot up?

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {bootmgr}
device partition=D:
description Windows Boot Manager
locale en-US
inherit {globalsettings}
default {current}
displayorder {current}
toolsdisplayorder {memdiag}
timeout 30

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {current}
device partition=C:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Microsoft Windows Vista
locale en-US
inherit {bootloadersettings}
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {2ab0c8eb-cc02-11db-a854-b26f277c1d3a}
nx OptIn
custom:47000005 301989892
PRO New Member

Postby kd1966 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:13 am

Simply copy the \boot folder and files, along with the files: bootmgr and bootsect.bak FROM the root of your XP partition (Your system drive) and paste them TO the root of your Vista partition
PRO PLATINUM

Postby darco » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:28 am

kd1966 wrote:Simply copy the \boot folder and files, along with the files: bootmgr and bootsect.bak FROM the root of your XP partition (Your system drive) and paste them TO the root of your Vista partition

I have "show hidden files" checked but I cannot see the \Boot folder at all. When I do a search nothing comes up either. Using DOS all I see is the autoexec and config files and two folders that do not contain the boot folder ....So if I do format this drive I will hose Vista?
PRO New Member

Postby kd1966 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:46 am

If you format your "System" drive before copying/moving all the Vista boot files/folder...... YES, you will temporarily hose your booting into Vista, but you can also pop in the Vista DVD and select the "Repair my Computer" option which should fix that as well. It's just easier to copy all the Vista boot files from the system drive first (This azzumes your XP IS the system drive)
PRO PLATINUM

Return to Windows Boot Problems