A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Need help deciding on new DSLR camera

Need help deciding on new DSLR camera

Postby Sisco22 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:26 am

Hey guys,
I need help, I am looking at the Olympus Evolt 510, the Nikon D60 and the Canon Rebel XTI. Can anyone give me any opinions on these?
thanks!
PRO Level 14

Postby rippinchikkin » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:35 am

Go Nikon, you wont be sorry. ;) (All my equipment is Nikon, so I speak from experience. wanna buy a lens? lol, kidding.)
A rubber band pistol was confiscated from algebra class because it was a weapon of math disruption.
VP - Syndication

Postby Sisco22 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:37 am

lol..i want to get more into photography, my buddy has the canon xti, and his brother has a nikon 6mp. I don't know what all the lenses do, so im kinda lost. i had the canon xt and xti, both great cameras, but i was thinking about nikon. D60 looks like its pretty good.
PRO Level 14

Postby phileysmiley » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:16 am

I have the D40X (D60 has replaced it). It's the best there is, no question about it. I'm a professional photographer and all the pros use it. It's also the best entry level camera for someone going from digital to DSLR.
Media Director

Postby Sisco22 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:21 am

thanks Larry, looks like i am going with the Nikon! :)
thanks again guys!
PRO Level 14

Postby Sisco22 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:04 pm

ok, are you guys sure i should go with Nikon? lol just want to double check. i've been reading reviews and i don't know alot about these cameras...so im having a really hard time deciding. I loved my Canon, but not sure what to do.
PRO Level 14

Postby Absolute-Zero » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:13 pm

Personally, I'd go with the Canon! ;)
PROfessional Member

Postby Sisco22 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:16 pm

lol..now im gonna start getting mixed reviews...im doomed! LOL. What do you like about Canon and Nikon, maybe i could weigh them out that way?
PRO Level 14

Postby Absolute-Zero » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:48 pm

As far as I can recall, the Canon is smaller and lighter and uses CompactFlash as a memory medium rather than the SD cards used by Nikon. As a rule, CompactFlash tends to be faster than SD, 30Mb/s for CF versus 10-20Mb/s for SD. The Canon's also slightly quicker on startup and shutdown speeds.

The Nikon, on the other hand, has a higher maximum ISO rating than the Canon (3200 vs Canon's 1600), can do spot metering and has an adjustable self-timer when taking self-portaits, etc.

Both cameras have similar Megapixel ratings, image resolutions and have sensor dust removal technologies built in. Image quality on both cameras is pretty much, like for like. This depends more on the glass you're going to be attaching to it.

With regards to lenses, Canon's "L" series lenses are generally the accepted, top-level "professional"l lenses (you may have seen all the cream coloured telephotos and zooms at various sports events) but these are serious top dollar and Nikon have their own "Pro" ranges, too.

Really, it's a personal choice, more than anything. I like Canon more because I've always used them and find them a little simpler to operate, others, such as Dave and John, prefer the Nikons.
PROfessional Member

Postby Sisco22 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:17 pm

Thanks Dan! Like i said before i liked my Canon XT and XTI, but wasn't sure if it is what i want to buy back. Since my XTI was stolen, i'm hesitant to buy anything. I would like to get the professional shots, but i know i won't get anything like the sports pics, like on ESPN. Not looking to go that far ;) We are going to be having another baby next year sometime and i want to get all the pics i can, just b/c i made a mistake with my twins, had their pics on a 20gig hdd that died and had all their baby pics on it when they were first born. Lesson learned there! But i didn't have a good camera back then either. So i just want make a smart investment.

Oh, here is the other camera i was looking at: http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view ... .0103~1672
PRO Level 14

Next

Return to General Tech Chat