A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

HTML help

HTML help

Postby BallstotheWall » Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:44 pm

I am trying to set up a simple website with a navigation in one frame and the main content in the other frame. Basically two columns (20%,80%) with the navigation file called links.html and the main content as main.html (well for the first page to load).

This is how I tried to do it, but it didn't work. The two files are both named correctly and in the same folder as the other pages.

Code: Select all
<html>
<body>
<FRAMESET cols="20%, 80%">
   <FRAME src = "links.html">
   <FRAME src = "main.html">
</FRAMESET>
</body>
</html>

for a beter view, you can use the url http://www.freewebtown.com/bttw/index.html as the main file, then just change index to links or main to see the two separate pages that I am trying to show in the frames.
PRO Level 2

Postby exhater » Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:03 pm

I do not understand. I do developement. The instructions you have offered do not make sence. What are you trying to do. Frames suck btw
Life is not about how many moments you breathe, but how many moments take your breath away
PRO Level 2

Postby BallstotheWall » Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:10 pm

well, i'm sorry about the instructions.

What would you use instead of frames?? I just want to be able to have links on the left side of each page without having to hard code them all.

EDIT: At this point I have the links page showing up. Now to just get the main page to work inside the other frame. I have been trying to use the html validator at w3.org.
PRO Level 2

Postby exhater » Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:19 pm

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

<html>
<head>
<title>BLAH BLAH BLAH</title>
</head>

<frameset rows="20, 80" border="0">
<frame name="" src="htmls/title.html" scrolling="no">

<frameset cols="16%, *" border="0">
<frame name="menu" src="htmls/menu.html" scrolling="no">
<frame name="main" src="htmls/index2.html">
</frameset>
</frameset>

<body>
</body>
</html>
Life is not about how many moments you breathe, but how many moments take your breath away
PRO Level 2

Postby exhater » Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:23 pm

if you are looking for a very good HTML editor that validates got here

http://www.arachnoid.com/arachnophilia/

I used it when I was starting out, it will support your frames offer help from there
PRO Level 2

Postby Dalsim » Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:24 pm

Instead of Frames I recommend using a CMS (Content Management System) makes it soo much easier to add and remove info from websites and you only need to make one template and the CMS fill the rest in (Menu, Main info, ect). One that I use and recommend is Mambo
"Life is merely a fraction of a second. An infinitely small amount of time to fulfill our desires, our dreams, our passions." Paul Gauguin (1848 - 1904)
AEST
PROfessional Member

Postby BallstotheWall » Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:25 pm

i've got it. thanks
PRO Level 2

Return to HTML, CSS, and Scripts