A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

How to remove Dual Boot Vista 32 from HD leaving only Win 7

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

How to remove Dual Boot Vista 32 from HD leaving only Win 7

Postby Gary P » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:27 pm

I no longer need/want Vista 32 installed on my Dell 720 XPS. Currently have dual boot with Vista and Windows 7 64 bit. Have two 500GB HDs with multiple partitions. Windows 7 partition is the boot partition. I have read some of the threads that mention disconnecting a HD and rebooting from DVD, then reconnecting the HD to format. I am not too keen on opening up my PC to mess with the wires. Is there another way to accomplish the goal? Could I install a second copy of Win 7 over the Vista, then go back and format the drive? Ideas?
Gary P

Re: How to remove Dual Boot Vista 32 from HD leaving only Win 7

Postby Nativedude » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:20 pm

As long as windows 7 is the boot partition then you should be able to delete the vista partition without any problems
I don't know why you would need to disconnect the hard drive
PRO Level 15

Re: How to remove Dual Boot Vista 32 from HD leaving only Win 7

Postby shreader » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:33 pm

When you say boot partition do you mean the default OS that is booting or the one marked "system"/ "active" in Computer management?

Or both?
Software Director

Return to Windows Boot Problems