A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Hard Drive Failure

Postby OsirisX » Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:36 pm

LOL, I don't think it ever happened to me since I replace my hd at least every year.
OsirisX

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." - Albert Einstein
PROfessional Member

Postby SCgone » Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:54 pm

I would contact Maxtor. I've seen instances where they will issue an RMA and replace a drive when the S.M.A.R.T. diagnostics go bad. It's definitely worth a shot. All you've go to lose is a free HD.
PRO PLATINUM

Postby websuperman » Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:06 pm

Bell1 wrote:I would contact Maxtor. I've seen instances where they will issue an RMA and replace a drive when the S.M.A.R.T. diagnostics go bad. It's definitely worth a shot. All you've go to lose is a free HD.

Now that I have done personally. I have worked in computer hardware sales at the wholesale level for about 7 years now with different companies. 2 of the companies did not want to deal with dead product at all and had no problem with me taking dead equipment home and gettting RMAs on it. I got full machines that had memory issues at times... ahhh those were the days. I still work in the industry but now I own the company and want things to be done correctly.... Anyways... I had about 6 drives to send back to Maxtor (the warranty exp. date is usally printed on the drive label) and it was much easier than dealing with any of the other hard drive dealers. Maxtor was great to work with, IBM on the other hand is almost impossible to get drives replaced through. I have 5 that I have been trying to get replace for several years now (off and on) and never get a response. How did I end up typing such a long post? You get my point......
PRO New Member

Postby OsirisX » Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:19 pm

Bell1 wrote:I would contact Maxtor. I've seen instances where they will issue an RMA and replace a drive when the S.M.A.R.T. diagnostics go bad. It's definitely worth a shot. All you've go to lose is a free HD.

I've never actually returned anything to the manufactor since I'm afraid of getting slammed witht the labor fees, I always got a store warranty instead.
OsirisX

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." - Albert Einstein
PROfessional Member

Postby ~Spider~ » Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:33 pm

If money is an issue, then by all means do all you can to keep from trashing the HD. I have had, in my time, 2 drives give up the ghost with minimal warning. Murphy
PRO Level 10

Previous

Return to Hardware and Customizing