A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Folding @ Home

Forum rules
Welcome to our modest though robust team of folders! You are all more than welcome to join us or ask specific questions about how to go about folding but please start a new thread to post your questions, this way nothing of importance will be lost and everyone here will help you out.

If you just want to chat folding then the Folding@Home Home thread will be great!

Postby old-gray » Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:42 pm

Malhovic wrote:OK, well I found the trick. I had to hit the enter key before the screen disappeared and then it would start the install. Funny how that one works. Ohh well, I got it working. Now I am on the team and this thing will be running 24 - 7 practically!!!

Thats a good one.. I found a few minor things in the software that need either clarification or a rewrite. Such as how do you stop a WU that is too large for a slow machine, and start one with smaller number of frames?

my slowest computer is working on a WU with 2000 frames, and a finish time of 72 days....not reasonable..I tried uninstalling the software and downloading a fresh copy, started on the exact same WU...

Should be an easy way to reject a WU and select one that can finish quicker, probably is in the code, but I cant find the instructions or FAQ...

My faster computer is working on its third WU which has 200 frames and should finish in about 1 hour...

Wish I could find an exaustive tutorial on the quirks of the software, so far, havent been able to find it... I read the FAQs, and the entire website and seveal sites linked to it...but cannot find the answers that I need...

I know that funding is limited, but the software coders need a 'how can we improve the software' forum...

Also, I learned that most of the calculations are by the processors and RAM on the video care. Hardly any CPU time is used..A very slow CPU/motherboard will work great if you have a super fast video card...which are rather cheap at the moment...
If you need a price reference, I would recommend a site that I use a lot;

www.tigerdirect.com

which offers special deals via email, if you register and apply for it...these sales are not advertised anywhere else, and can save up to 80% on some great cards including ATI and Nvidia.. and RAM modules galore...

Don't mean to imply that you should shop there, only a great place to compare prices.

Good folding and have a great day...
Bob
Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum!
PRO Level 7
Location: Dixie land, where I was borned, early on one frosty morn..

Postby rippinchikkin » Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:20 pm

you guys are putting a hurting on me, looks like Im gonna have to start using my two home machines too, and I do have a couple of servers here.... nah, but it would be nice. LOL
good work guys!!!!
A rubber band pistol was confiscated from algebra class because it was a weapon of math disruption.
VP - Syndication

Postby old-gray » Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:35 pm

rippinchikkin wrote:you guys are putting a hurting on me, looks like Im gonna have to start using my two home machines too, and I do have a couple of servers here.... nah, but it would be nice. LOL
good work guys!!!!

Team members
Rank (within team)

Rank User Score WU
1 netNomad 19230 231
2 JakeGub 4171 24
3 augie 3641 38
4 Treihydral 3316 38
5 Ar1stotle 1913 21
6 Mandeville_high 1549 9
7 imnuts 1524 16
8 PoisonBL 1347 12
9 rippinchikkin 1162 6
10 OsirisX 1017 7
11 augie1 365 5
12 colsaunders2 316 1
13 NorthWeb_Mike 312 3
14 Aristotle 290 2
15 The1Trish 165 8
16 old-gray 138 2 *old gray needs faster video cards*
17 MikeS 102 3
18 Thomas52 76 5
19 LiLWiP 53 2
20 tim_and_sheree 24 1

Looks great to me Rip...
Bob
PRO Level 7

Postby augie » Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:48 pm

old grey wrote:Also, I learned that most of the calculations are by the processors and RAM on the video care. Hardly any CPU time is used..A very slow CPU/motherboard will work great if you have a super fast video card...

Interesting, I OC'd my 1GHZ Celly through BIOS to 1.32GHZ to help with the processing of WUs. Now I know why there was no noticeable difference. Hmm, this is a great excuse to get a new vid card. :devil :drool:
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby rippinchikkin » Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:03 am

Ya, but we really need to be getting more members to participate. There are some HUGE teams out there. We have one of the largest online communities, nearly 80,000 members.
We can do better; our team is so small, but with huge heart. Which almost makes up for the small size. (That sounds bad I think)
A rubber band pistol was confiscated from algebra class because it was a weapon of math disruption.
VP - Syndication

Postby old-gray » Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:07 am

augie wrote:
old grey wrote:Also, I learned that most of the calculations are by the processors and RAM on the video care. Hardly any CPU time is used..A very slow CPU/motherboard will work great if you have a super fast video card...

Interesting, I OC'd my 1GHZ Celly through BIOS to 1.32GHZ to help with the processing of WUs. Now I know why there was no noticeable difference. Hmm, this is a great excuse to get a new vid card. :devil :drool:

That is what makes this program usuable and not slow down your computer, as long as you are not doing anything that is video intensive...

It uses a lot of the advanced charactistics of the new cards...

That is the reason this machine with an ATI 8600DV card processes quickly, and I cannot tell that it is running..
the other machine has a old 16 MEG card and is very slow with the processing and causes mouse pointer flickering...need a new card there also....
Bob
PRO Level 7

Postby old-gray » Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:10 am

Sounds great Rip... a few people with a great heart can get all 60,000 of the others involved...

Just ask William Wallace....LOL
Bob
PRO Level 7

Postby augie » Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:15 am

old grey wrote:That is what makes this program usuable and not slow down your computer, as long as you are not doing anything that is video intensive...

The only thing that is weird is that my CPU is always at 100% and it's the FahCore_82.exe that sucks up all the usage at any given time. Never did see a slow down as it seems to release memory as soon as you need it. I'll do some speed tests with and without and see what happens.
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby imnuts » Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:21 am

well, since it uses the GPU instead of the CPU, can wait to test it on my new video card when i can buy it: see here :devil :devil :devil :devil
PRO SUPREME

Postby old-gray » Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:25 am

That is what I see on the computers with 'standard' VGA cards.

The amount of CPU time is adjustable in the configuration file, by right clicking on the console.

The surprising thing to me is the ability to pause the f@h and start another process so quickly...it is almost as if it is not running.

With the ATI card that I am running, the CPU time never gets to 75%, and usually sits about 5%.

If I understand the FAQ correctly, if the video card can handle the advanced features normally used for video reproduction, the card does almost all the work. There is a warning that the video card may overheat, and a caution is mentioned to check the temp, and possibly install a better cooling system on the video card...
Bob
PRO Level 7

PreviousNext

Return to Distributed Computing