A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Firefox 3: What are your thoughts about it?

Postby yeshuas » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:05 am

Grav!ty wrote:
yeshuas wrote:
Grav!ty wrote:I got rid of the history bar...I think.

I clicked on your image and it wasn't clear so I clicked on the image in the window that opened and then it highjacked my browser

Ooh that doesn't sound good. What browser are you using Daniel?

At the time I was using IE, I had to reboot via task manager to get out of it, it kept opening more and more windows
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby Grav!ty » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:25 am

Must be something wrong at ImageShack :-?

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby Grav!ty » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:57 am

So far I fail to see what the big buzz is about Firefox. There are many perhaps minor but never-the-less inconveniences compared to IE 7.

Perhaps even a bug or two like placing smileys at the bottom of the page instead of where one selects to place them, and if one highlights a word when making a post, say to bold it or to add a URL or image code, the page jumps to the top of the page when the post is long enough to invoke the slider on the right.

Oh yeah and you can't customize your bookmark icons...perhaps minor like I said but still.

As for security, there may have been a time when FF was more secure than IE but I think that time has long gone and FF is just as subject to vulnerabilities now.

Quite honestly I've never seen any real advantage to using FF and still don't. If I'm missing what all the hype for Firefox is about, please enlighten me.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby yeshuas » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:05 am

It was my understanding that FF3 was suppose to be more secure. Maybe when I feel like taking another risk I will try to open the same image of Grav!ty's with FF3 and see what happens (-:
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Intel I5-3570K
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby yeshuas » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:09 am

Ok I opened the image with FF3 and didn't need to click on it a second time to view it clearly so there is one advantage, plus spell checker on the fly is cool, I like FF3 for the spell check (-:
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Intel I5-3570K
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby kanaloa » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:26 am

Main reason I like FF better. As a web designer it's better at "reading" pages - code compliance.

Other than that, the tabs were my main selling point. I know IE7+ has them too now, but I've been with FF a while now and over time the little things just grew on me. I use it exclusively now.
"Greatness is not a function of circumstance. Greatness, it turns out, is largely a matter of conscious choice, and discipline." - Jim Collins
President

Postby imnuts » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:33 am

Graham, it looks like the issue isn't with the font rendering/cleartype, and it's just that IE is using a different font for body pages than FF is. Under the options, there should be something to set the default page fonts that get used when a font type isn't specifically set. Try setting it to one of the default system fonts, that should hopefully make it look better and more like IE.
PRO SUPREME

Postby markcynt » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:16 am

Grav!ty wrote:So far I fail to see what the big buzz is about Firefox.

I think the big buzz was manufactured by Mozilla and the FF fanboys. I'm not a fanboy but definitely prefer FF to IE. I like how customizable FF is. With FF, you add an extension and it just works. I've found that IE does not play well with add-ons. As far as FF3 goes, other than the polished new look, I can't tell the difference.

Mark
Velocity Micro A50
P5N-E SLI, Core2Duo E6850 @ 3.3GHZ, 2 GB DDR2 800MHZ
EVGA 8800GTS 320MB, 2x320GB Stripe, Vista Ultimate SP1, XP Pro SP3, XP Pro SP3
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
PRO Level 6

Postby Grav!ty » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:38 pm

I must say I'm getting used to Firefox. I've been using only it since I downloaded and installed. I haven't been able to change the text but am ok with it already and I like the History menu item.

The real reason I started using it is that in XP SP3 I've been getting freezes in IE7 when I cancel video halfway through and then have to open a new browser window. Firefox doesn't do that. Anyone else been experiencing that with IE7 since XP SP3?

PROfessional Member

Postby Cornflake » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:56 pm

Well Gravity Firefox has a lot of reasons to love it once you get to know it :) The main reason I started using Firefox (Back when it was like v0.9) was the tabs and customizability. Not only did IE6 not have them at the time, as John mentioned, but using IE6 was asking to get spyware.

Now that most browsers have tabs, the thing that still pulls me to FF is the customizability with addons -- I use adblock to block all ads, SmoothWheel to get smooth scrolling and it's twekable so I can make it way better that IE's scrolling, PersonalMenu to hide the File menu which ends up making it thinner than any browser (but it also does a lot of other things), All-In-One sidebar so with one click I can see my bookmarks, history, downloads, or anything else within the sidebar panel.... Firefox lets you add any buttons you want on any toolbar, or even on the sidebar, etc. I think you see where I'm going with this :P And to top it off it's always had a nice theme which fits in pretty well with the OS.

Even in FF's native-state with no addons I'd rather use it than any other browser on the face of the planet. Firefox's motto of "Take back the Web" really is true. It really gave you so many things that make you in control of the web instead of the other way around. Honestly IE7 and higher are naught but a follower in Firefox's wake (about:mozilla anyone? :P). I could understand not knowing the hype behind the release of FF3, but if you prefer any version of IE over FF then, I'm sorry, something's wrong with you.
PRO Level 15

PreviousNext

Return to General Tech Chat