A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Dualboot XP on Vista PC Problems

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Postby porscheman87 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:50 am

:-x Tried to Dual Boot XP on Vista PC, Now I can not do anything will not boot to Vista, Does not recognize the Vista DVD or XP disc, it only gets as far as bios page and I can not access anything. PC is new custom build, tried removing memory sticks, re-install, removed battery, reinstall, Clear RTC Ram, nothing, any Ideas
PRO New Member

Postby augie » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:08 am

Welcome porscheman87, do you mean you can't access BIOS and change the boot order to boot to CD/DVD?
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby porscheman87 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:43 am

I can not access anything, screen of ASUS Motherboard, hit del on restart to bios screen, lists all drives, hit f8 does nothing. The drives all test when restart but will not do anything when I put in Vista DVD or XP, or the Maxtor disc.
PRO New Member

Postby porscheman87 » Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:30 pm

Computer now will recognize the Vista DVD if I unplug the Hard Drive, I try and use the fix PC section and it does not allow states it needs driver for Hard Drive, although I can not find any that it is looking for, will not boot into XP or Vista, Also tried a Windows 98 Boot disk to run FDISK and the compuer does not find the Hard drive. I plug in the Mator 300G SATA Hard drive after startup, but if left plugged in it will hang up, I cant seem to fix, Format the Hard drive, any Ideas other than totally new Hard drive.
PRO New Member

Postby NT50 » Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:52 pm

Put in the 300G sata drive and boot to either a linux live cd/dvd or a BartPE disk. If so then see if your system can see the other hard drives.......
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby NY2NV » Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:18 pm

Did you try booting with the Maxblast CD in the drive?
Also you stated that this is a new PC build, did you install XP first and did it run before Vista?
PRO Level 2

Postby mintt2 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:11 pm

is ur hard drive jumper set to cable select?
try chg jumper to force master only
PRO Level 3

Postby porscheman87 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:33 am

Update, Vista Partition had a corrupt boot sector, changed bios back to default setting and tried to fix with Vista DVD but it would not, format Maxtor Harddrive with PowerMax bootdisk and installed XP Pro, PC working fine, I will wait awhile before installing Vista again
PRO New Member

Postby JabbaPapa » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:45 pm

Well, glad you reinstalled the XP, that was certainly the best way forward in your situation :notworthy

To get your XP and Vista talking to each other, might I suggest the following stratagem ?

1) install a second XP installation to your desired Vista partition/drive

2) boot to that XP, pop your Vista DVD in, and run setup from within Windows, choosing the clean install option

3) Then make sure to delete the windows.old folder that will most likely be created during installation ...

This should ensure that both Windows versions play nice together ^*^
PRO VETERAN

Return to Windows Boot Problems