A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Connect laptop hard drive to desktop

Postby ar1stotle » Thu May 29, 2008 10:00 pm

:( Wish I had seen this earlier. You don't need anything to connect that to your PC. It's a regular SATA connection! As long as your PC has a free SATA port you just need to plug it up to your normal power supply and use a SATA cable. And the external enclosure is really more of a long term thing, not very handy if you just want to hook the drive up for a few hours. You may find something like this more suitable for that type of job. But whatever, as long as you can get your data back!
PRO BRONZE

Postby phileysmiley » Thu May 29, 2008 10:17 pm

I'm just beyond frustrated at this point. This all started almost 2 days ago:
http://www.pronetworks.org/forum/about102595.html

I can't even begin to tell you all the things I've tried to recover my data off that HDD.

Neither side of that device looks like this though:
http://www.lapzone.com/servlet/the-5907 ... 105/Detail
Media Director

Postby ar1stotle » Fri May 30, 2008 3:34 am

Yes, the bottom will accept the SATA connection. It'll fit laptop and desktop IDE drives, as well as SATA drives (there's no difference between a laptop SATA drive and a desktop one other than size). The red cable that comes with that will attach to the hard drive. The other end of the cable will fit the connection on the bottom (or is it the top?) of that adapter. There's a sata connection on it, it's in the picture. For the power, you just need to use the adapter to convert a 4-pin molex connection into a SATA connection. It would work, trust me lol.

But like I said, if your desktop has SATA drives you could just plug it up in there. Just get a SATA cable, attach one end to the drive and the other end to your motherboard. Then get power from a SATA connector on the power supply (or use a 4-pin to sata adapter).
PRO BRONZE

Postby phileysmiley » Fri May 30, 2008 4:04 am

ar1stotle wrote:Yes, the bottom will accept the SATA connection. It'll fit laptop and desktop IDE drives, as well as SATA drives (there's no difference between a laptop SATA drive and a desktop one other than size). The red cable that comes with that will attach to the hard drive. The other end of the cable will fit the connection on the bottom (or is it the top?) of that adapter. There's a sata connection on it, it's in the picture. For the power, you just need to use the adapter to convert a 4-pin molex connection into a SATA connection. It would work, trust me lol.

But like I said, if your desktop has SATA drives you could just plug it up in there. Just get a SATA cable, attach one end to the drive and the other end to your motherboard. Then get power from a SATA connector on the power supply (or use a 4-pin to sata adapter).

I just double-checked and my XP desktop is only IDE. Earlier we had found an adapter to go from SATA to IDE. But that also came with another adapter to go from IDE to USB. That sounded much easier since I could just plug it in outside the case. Then we found that device which does both in one unit. I think the only options were to connect it inside the case or outside, and this unit gives me portability. What I might even do is buy another laptop drive and then just use this unit as an additional external HDD for storage.
Media Director

Postby phileysmiley » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:56 am

I finally got the device today. Overnight delivery? Ha. Sure, it took overnight. But they didn't ship the darn thing for 7 days. Yeech. Anyway, I'll continue the discussion back here where it started:

http://www.pronetworks.org/forum/viewto ... 108#767108
Media Director

Previous

Return to Hardware and Customizing