A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Cannot install XP with preinstalled Vista

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Postby luca2004 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:51 pm

when I try to install XP it says that it is incompatible with Vista and I can't go on.
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:04 am

luca2004 wrote:when I try to install XP it says that it is incompatible with Vista and I can't go on.

Welcome to PROnetworks luca. Are you running XP setup by booting to the XP CD with a pre-prepared partition to install XP on?

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby luca2004 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:04 pm

Thanks for your attention!

I followed all the steps and after the two restarts I was ready to install my XP in the new partition "XP", but I could not.

It does not start from disc: Vista starts anyway and I have to launch the setup for XP from Vista; probably that's why Vista takes the control.
PRO New Member

Postby kd1966 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:36 pm

I do not believe it is possible to install XP from within Vista, as Vista views that as "downgrading" or such.....

Check your BIOS settings to allow your DVD/CD drive to boot first in the boot sequence; if this is already set up, then possiby you got a bad burn on your XP CD or something....... btw, WELCOME to PROnetworks!
PRO PLATINUM

Postby NT50 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:54 pm

Startup changes can be foudn in BIOS and most of the newer systems now have a F(key) for boot devices.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Return to Windows Boot Problems