A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

XP Wireless Doesn't Auto Connect

XP Wireless Doesn't Auto Connect

Postby flash_659 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:30 am

On my windows XP computer I'm using a netgear wg111v2 usb wireless card. I have it connected wirelessly to my Netgear DGN2000 'N' wireless modem router but when ever I log off or restart my computer i have to disconnect from the internet on XP and re-connect it thorugh the windows wireless network thing. This doesnt happen on my laptop which has a built in wireless card and I have connect automatically ticked in options on this computer. The netgear wireless wizard is also running on this computer.

Any help would be great, Thanks
PRO Level 2

Re: XP Wireless Doesn't Auto Connect

Postby _Taz_ » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:21 pm

try letting Windows manage the card for you

Open Network Connections.
Right-click Wireless Network Connection, and then click Properties.
On the Wireless Networks tab, check the Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings check box.

then when you refresh your wireless networks and connect look to see if it is set to automatically connect to your preferred wireless networks.

(the netgear wizard probably has an option somewhere that does the same thing, but I don't have that so I can't tell you for sure)
PRO Level 13

Postby JabbaPapa » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:28 pm

This behaviour may be due to the fact that XP can often load the USB drivers *after* loading drivers for some USB devices, causing these devices to fail (the reverse can also happen at system shutdown, causing XP to hang when you switch it off).

I've wrestled with this issue in the past and have found no solution for it, other than ditch XP for another Windows version.

Then again I don't much like XP and may have given up too easily -- and there may or may not exist a method to force it to load the USB drivers at an earlier stage of the boot process ?

A workaround would be to habitually hibernate your PC instead of switching it off, as the drivers would remain properly loaded in this scenario.
PRO VETERAN

Postby flash_659 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:55 pm

Thankyou for the help, no success as of yet, so I will have to keep the PC in another room near the router so I can connect via Ethernet. Hopefully the problem will be solved when I upgrade to Windows 7. I didn't like Vista very much.
PRO Level 2

Return to General Windows Support