A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

XP/Vista to Vista only . . .

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

XP/Vista to Vista only . . .

Postby hobbs » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:24 am

Purchased a custom PC two years ago and had it setup to run both XP and Vista Home Premium because of photo scanner and photo programs that would not play nice with Vista. All of the programs are now updated. I would like to know how to remove XP completely and have Vista only. VistaBootPro is installed in XP. I have full image backups so not afraid of losing anything.
PRO New Member

Re: XP/Vista to Vista only . . .

Postby Grav!ty » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:50 am

Which one of the operating systems is on the drive/partition tagged (System) as per Disk Management?

If it's Vista, then simply boot to Vista, remove the menu entry for XP using VistaBootPRO (Go to the Operating Systems page and delete it using the red cross on the right once you've selected XP). In your case I guess you'll have to remove it from XP if you cannot install VBP in Vista and then boot to Vista.

Format the XP drive/partition from Windows Vista and reboot and you should boot straight into Vista with no boot menu at all. You can also remove the boot system files for XP from the root of the drive/partition tagged (System), by booting to safe mode of Vista and then deleting these files - boot.ini, ntldr and NTDETECT.COM just to clean up nicely.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Return to Windows Boot Problems