A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

XP, Vienna (Se7en) and drive letters

Forum rules
This forum is meant for support of PRO Software only. PROnetworks reserves the right to edit any topic title to better explain the contents of a post. We also may move your post to a more suitable forum if necessary.

It may take our support staff up to 24 hours to respond to your problem. We appreciate your patience.

XP, Vienna (Se7en) and drive letters

Postby litemininyuszika » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:11 pm

Hi! I've installed XP and Vienna (Se7en) in my notebook. (To be exact, I did these steps in the past.)

First install was XP to partition C:. Later, I made a second partition from XP, N:.
My problem is Vienna (Se7en) is seeing itself as C:, and I needed to assign a drive letter to XP's partition (this is not a very large problem, it's exactly the same with Vista, except it assigned drive letter D: to XP).

My drive letters from XP:
C: XP Home N: Vienna
My drive letters from Vienna (Se7en):
C: Vienna I: XP Home

Can I change it to be exactly as in XP some way?

Thanks for everyone who reply!
litemininyuszika
PRO New Member

Re: XP, Vienna (Se7en) and drive letters

Postby yeshuas » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:17 pm

The OS's will normally see themselves as C when you are booted into them and assign other letters to the other OS's that are on the system e.g. When you are in XP it will show it to be C:\ and Windows 7 as perhaps D:\ or as you said in your case N:\, and then when you boot into Windows 7 it sees itself as C:\ and XP as perhaps D:\ or whatever.

I would not mess with changing the letters as you may end up making your system unbootable.
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby JabbaPapa » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:26 pm

Changing the drive letters is indeed unadvisable -- if however you really needed drive letters to be consistent, then you should install W7 by starting XP, inserting the W7 DVD, and running setup from within Windows. Of course you would need to trash your current W7 installation :-/
PRO VETERAN

Postby litemininyuszika » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:36 pm

Yes, I understand it. It's funny: A long time ago, at one Vista install - it was normal like all other installs -, the drive letter I assigned to Vista's partition from XP is "accepted" and I had exactly the same drive letters in Vista. How it can be true? It was really exactly the same as any other installs. Vista also can only upgrade and can't do a clean install to another partition when setup is started from within Windows, if I know it well.

I tried to install it from within XP, but it was 0% still after 5-10 minutes elapsed! My last upgrade to a leaked build (7022) was from XP.
PRO New Member

Postby JabbaPapa » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:43 pm

Upgrade is the default setting when you insert a Windows DVD, but you can change that setting during setup to clean install.
PRO VETERAN

Return to PRO Software