A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

XP installed over Vista - Admin Rights issue in VistaBootPRO 3.3

Forum rules
This forum is meant for support of PRO Software only. PROnetworks reserves the right to edit any topic title to better explain the contents of a post. We also may move your post to a more suitable forum if necessary.

It may take our support staff up to 24 hours to respond to your problem. We appreciate your patience.

Postby BxL » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:23 am

solracna wrote:New pop-up
"VistaBootPro error"
"VistaBootPro detected an error when while attempting to run the following command:
/export....."
"The operation was completed successfully"

Carlos

Hi! I'm having the same problem at VistaBootPro3.3, and WinXP SP2

I'd like to boot to my pre-installed Vista, after i installed an XP over it. I know it wasn't a smart thing :-?

I have a HP 8710p notebook (Core2Duo T7300, 1 giga RAM, nvidia quadro nvs320m, 160 GB sata HDD, i965 mainboard)
I have XP SP2 install CD, but no vista DVD (it was pre-installed on HDD)
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:58 am

Hi BxL. I've split your post to it's own thread as I believe you are going to want more help than just sorting out the Admin Rights.

When you say installed XP over Vista what do you mean?

Do you have a seperate partition for XP or did you install XP to the same partition as Vista?

Did you create a recovery disk set before doing this?

Do you still have a recovery partition on your system?

Please give us answers to these questions so that we have a better understanding of what the problem is that you face.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby BxL » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:26 am

I bought my notebook with preinstalled Vista on HDD (Vista 64bit hungarian)
I had 3 partitions on it : Vista, HP recovery, and another HP partition with Vista drivers and stuff.
I made another primary partition, where i wanted to install my XP prof. SP2 (hungarian).
Vista partition was c:, XP partition is d:

The HP partitions are: HP_RECOVERY E: and OS_TOOLS F:

And Vista didn't boot anymore, I could only boot to XP.
After the XP install i thought i might edit the boot.ini, but found it isn't so easy, so I tried to look up some software on internet to solve the problem and found VistaBootPRO

I haven't made recovery disk set.
I was only made a norton ghost-like procedure, it was a HP software, and I think it made a copy from the virgin vista partition just after bought the notebook. And I think this is on the HP recovery partition which has a 7,8 GB size, and there is a PRELOAD folder with a file called BASE.WIM, that file is 6 GB.
I didn't want to modify anything there, as I don't really know how is it works...

Thanks for the help, and sorry for my bad english :)
BxL
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:09 am

That all makes much more sense now thank you BxL. Without you being able to use VistaBootPRO (the admin rights issue is as a result of your "foreign language" XP media I believe), to install the Vista bootloader, I'm going to have to give you some commands to run from the command prompt.

They will work, provided all the other factors for a successful dual boot are in place.

The Vista boot system files (bootmgr and the folder Boot plus contents) need to be on the partition tagged "System" as seen in Disk Management. The XP boot system files (ntldr, NTDETECT.COM and boot.ini) need to also be on the partition tagged "System" in Disk Management. Your boot.ini needs to be correctly configured...if you are booting to XP fine then I guess it already is.

Go to www.vistabootpro.org and the link to "View our change log" Download and install Version 3.1 of VistaBootPRO and select to have it install alongside version 3.3. Locate and copy the file bootsect.exe and bcdedit.exe to the XP Windows\System32 folder. You should find them in the Program Files/Pronetworks/VistaBootPRO 3.1 folder. You'll need to have folder options set to show hidden files and folders and uncheck Hide protected operating system files to be able to see it.

Open the command prompt in Windows XP and type bootsect.exe /NT60 ALL and then press Enter on your keyboard. This should have the effect of reinstalling your Vista boot loader and pull the XP installation into it too, and you should then be able to boot to both operating systems.

Let us know if that works for you BxL :)

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby BxL » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:37 am

Thank you for all help. Meanwhile I solved the problem, so now the dualboot works fine on my system. I think it made the same vistabootloader reinstall.

Thanks
BxL
PRO New Member

Postby maomaogw » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:09 am

heloo, i also have the same problem... but when i try to execute the bootsect command, there is a eror message, it is said that the bootsect.exe is not recognized as internal or external command , operable command or batch file.....
now what should i do?
PRO New Member

Return to PRO Software