A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

XP Boot Question

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

XP Boot Question

Postby kanaloa » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:49 pm

I'm posting this on Alex's behalf. Is there anything DBP can do for this situation? Since Vista/Windows 7 are not installed, I'm assuming not?

Alex MacCormack wrote:Running Windows XP, I get an error that says:
Dualpro has detected that your BCDRegistry is either missing or corrupt. It should be fixed before continuing.

My main problem is that I'm trying to remove any evidence of System Commander from being part of my boot-up sequence. My Windfows XP indicates from the Control Panel that it is not installed, but I think it's left over from an installation years ago. Because of this, I can't format all of my new 500 GB hard drive.
"Greatness is not a function of circumstance. Greatness, it turns out, is largely a matter of conscious choice, and discipline." - Jim Collins
President

Re: XP Boot Question

Postby JabbaPapa » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:26 pm

I am unfamiliar with Boot Commander, but if it writes stuff into the flash memory of a hard drive, then it will only be removable either by writing over that data, or removing that hard drive from the system.

Windows legacy boot menu and bcd store both exist as files & folders inside hard drive partitions, so that they can be managed by the normal boot data management operations of DBP.

However, the issue with being unable to format your new HDD may be completely unrelated -- it may have been factory formatted as a dynamic drive. If so, go into Start > My Computer > Right Click > Manage > Disk Management

then delete the existing partitions, several times if necessary, until the drive displays as a basic disk/not formatted. If this is the problem instead of boot management issues, you should then be able to format your drive. Ensure that you have deleted both the surface logical partition(s) and the underlying dynamic formatting. Dynamic drives are useful for data storage, but they are still annoying -- and you may need to search for some other tools in the same location to convert the drive into a normal format.

Although of course the issue could be something else entirely :)
PRO VETERAN

Return to Windows Boot Problems