A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

XP Blue Screen

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

XP Blue Screen

Postby dkerwick » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:08 pm

I have just tried to load XP onto a Win 7 machine following the instructions set out on your web site - however, once it has gone through the driver loading I end up with a blue screen. When I re-start the computer Win 7 starts fine. I would be grateful if you could advise me, as the software that I have just go from you will be pointless if I cannot get XP to load. I must stress that I am following your instructions on this web-site to the letter. Cheers David
PRO New Member

Re: XP Blue Screen

Postby NT50 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:39 pm

Did you download the proper driver for yoru motherboard for Windows XP and slipstream them into an installation disk?
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby dkerwick » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:17 pm

Hi thx for your reply. No is the answer to that question! However, this is a new computer with Win 7 already loaded and I had another computer (which blow up!) but the hard drive was OK. I have put the old hard drive onto this computer to unload some software and XP worked fine with this motherboard (albeit with all relevent updates) and when I loaded all the motherboard software everything was singing and dancing! I have since taken the hard drive off and stuck with the hard drive that came with this computer. Do you think that I should slipstream XP with pack 3 and motherboard software, or do you think it would be possible just to connect my other hard drive although it is IDE and the new hard drive is SCSI? The reason I need XP is to study computer maintenance - so my current knowledge of slipsteaming is limited, but I am sure that I could do this!
Many thx for your help!
PRO New Member

Postby NT50 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:43 pm

Slipstreaming and installing is the best option.
Beware when using IDE and Sata drives together with vista or Win7. Issues in the past bring up bad memories.

Look into nLite if you want a software that will slipsteam for you or you can do it all manually. Your choice.
PROfessional Member

Postby dkerwick » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:33 pm

Ok - I am thinking of getting another SATA drive loading XP and then sorting out the boot, I have heard of too many problems regarding Win 7 and laoding XP on the same drive! Do you think this is a viable option?
Thx David
PRO New Member

Postby NT50 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:00 pm

Of all the dual boots I have done, I have done ALL of them but 1 on two separtate hard drives. I install each OS with only one hard drive connected that way they are totally indenpendant. I then get my Win7 drive booting first, copy the XP files over, modify boot.ini, use DualBootPro to add the entry and it has always worked for me. Always.

Edit. BTW when you use two hard drives and disconnect the Win7 to install XP, make sure you install XP and have all the updates and etc. I treat it as if it will be the only system running before I get the dualboot running.
PROfessional Member

Postby dkerwick » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:14 pm

Many thx - I think that I will go for the 2nd drive option, many thx for your help.

Kind regards
David
PRO New Member

Postby brayanaustin » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:28 am

The reason I need XP studying computer maintenance - if my current knowledge of slipsteaming is limited, but I'm sure I could do it!
PRO New Member

Postby dkerwick » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:47 pm

Update - I have loaded XP onto another drive and connected via my IDE connector - my BIOS allows me to choose which to boot so I can just press Esc and choose to boot Win 7 or XP, and I am happy to say that it works great - no problems at all - did not need Boot Pro as it turns out but never mind! Many thx for your help cheers David
PRO New Member

Return to Windows Boot Problems