A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Wipe physically damaged hard drive

Wipe physically damaged hard drive

Postby Craigular.B » Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:59 am

So, I have a hard drive from my dad's office computer sitting on my desk, and I think it's time to get rid of it. Only problem is I'm 99% sure the drive is physically damaged in some way because chkdsk didn't like it very much (if I remember right it locked up partway through the scans?).

I want to wipe the drive so nothing can be pulled off of it (they used the machine for ordering supplies), but IDK what would work with a damaged drive. Any suggestions? (preferrably cheap/free software)

Thanks!
-Craig
PRO Level 3

Postby Grav!ty » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:09 am

Western Digital have the WDDiag software which can write zeros to a drive making it impossible to recover data (it's FBI approved LOL), but I think it will only work with WD drives. Other manufacturers should also have similar software.

As a last resort you could disassemble the drive, remove the platters and subject them to severe impacts with a heavy hammer. That would remove the magnetization and any data on them.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

practice....

Postby j0k3rk1ll3r » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:07 am

Its damaged right...

well use it for target practice, a nice 12 guage slug would take care of anything on or 50ft behind the disk.....
MSI 785GTM-E45,Phenom x3 8750
seagate 160gb,400gb, 4GBxDDR2 800
On-Board Video (HD4200)
PRO Level 5

Postby ar1stotle » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:34 pm

Light the platters on fire, put them in a microwave, cover them in acid... the possibilities are endless! Have fun but be safe :yesnod:
PRO BRONZE

Postby kanaloa » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:57 pm

LOL, seems others are thinking along the same lines I was. I'd just take a sledge hammer to it. Or the shot gun idea was pretty good too, LOL
"Greatness is not a function of circumstance. Greatness, it turns out, is largely a matter of conscious choice, and discipline." - Jim Collins
President

Return to Hardware and Customizing