Windows XP SP2 Slipstreamed
For information on creating an unattended installation disc for Windows XP, see Creating a Windows XP Unattended Installation Disc
In Windows Explorer make sure that in Tools>Folder Options>View you
Show hidden files and folders
Hide extensions for known file types
Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
You will need the following items/tools:
1. Your Windows XP installation disc (whether it be with SP1 or not does not matter as SP2 includes all SP1 updates)
2. ISO Buster from Smart Projects
3. SP2 (WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe) from Microsoft Step 1.
Create the following new folders on your C:\ Drive (change this to whatever your Windows XP boot drive is):
Copy the entire contents of your XP CD to the folder XPCD
Copy SP2 (WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe) to the folder XPSP2
Extract the Microsoft Corporation.img file from your XP CD using ISO Buster and copy it to the folder XPBootImage Step 2.
Extract the contents of SP2 using the following command line (start>run):
(Just follow the dialogue box and select C:\XPSP2 as the destination folder when prompted)Step 3.
Now Integrate/Slipstream SP2 into your old XP CD with the following command line (start>run):
For the above commands to work you need to have created exactly the same file structure as indicated above. If you have used a hard drive or partition with a different drive letter then that needs to changed accordingly
AND THAT IS THAT – DONE – QED - EXCEPT FOR THE BURNINGBurning your Disc using Nero 6
This is a critical stage – if you do not adjust these settings exactly – you will end up with a disc that will not boot
1. Open Nero Burning ROM and select CD-ROM (Boot)
2. Then from the Boot tab select Image file and browse to the folder XPBootImage (make sure Files of type: is set to All Files [*.*])
3. Also in the Boot tab select - Enable expert settings – and make sure that Emulation is set to None and - Number of loaded sectors to 4 (This is critical – if you do not follow these settings your disc will not boot)
4. Go to the Label tab and add your disc label (this is not critical just a nice touch)
Here are some alternatives:
Check out your own disc for the correct disc label – they seem to differ slightly perhaps by region – mine is X1APOEM_EN for example.
5. Click New in Nero Burning ROM and in File Browser (3rd column from left)
select the XPCD folder and in the far right hand column – right click any folder and Select All and then right click and Copy to Compilation and then click Burn tab
6. Final setting in Nero 6 is to make sure you have selected Write under the Burn tab and also select Finalize CD (No further writing possible!) and then click Burn again (I suggest you also select Verify written data after inserting your blank disc).
WHILE COMPILING THIS GUIDE – I FOLLOWED THIS STEP-BY-STEP AND CREATED A NEW SP2 SLIPSTREAMED DISC – AND TESTED IT IN MY TEST MACHINE - AND IT WORKS!