A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Windows XP SP2 Slipstreamed

Postby Grav!ty » Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:25 pm

For information on creating an unattended installation disc for Windows XP, see Creating a Windows XP Unattended Installation Disc

In Windows Explorer make sure that in Tools>Folder Options>View you
Show hidden files and folders

and deselect

Hide extensions for known file types

and deselect

Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)

You will need the following items/tools:

1. Your Windows XP installation disc (whether it be with SP1 or not does not matter as SP2 includes all SP1 updates)

2. ISO Buster from Smart Projects

3. SP2 (WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe) from Microsoft

Step 1.

Create the following new folders on your C:\ Drive (change this to whatever your Windows XP boot drive is):

XPCD

XPBootImage

XPSP2

And

Copy the entire contents of your XP CD to the folder XPCD

Copy SP2 (WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe) to the folder XPSP2

Extract the Microsoft Corporation.img file from your XP CD using ISO Buster and copy it to the folder XPBootImage

Step 2.

Extract the contents of SP2 using the following command line (start>run):

C:\XPSP2\WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe –x
(Just follow the dialogue box and select C:\XPSP2 as the destination folder when prompted)

Step 3.

Now Integrate/Slipstream SP2 into your old XP CD with the following command line (start>run):

C:\XPSP2\i386\Update\Update.exe -S:C:\XPCD

For the above commands to work you need to have created exactly the same file structure as indicated above. If you have used a hard drive or partition with a different drive letter then that needs to changed accordingly

AND THAT IS THAT – DONE – QED - EXCEPT FOR THE BURNING

Burning your Disc using Nero 6

This is a critical stage – if you do not adjust these settings exactly – you will end up with a disc that will not boot

1. Open Nero Burning ROM and select CD-ROM (Boot)

2. Then from the Boot tab select Image file and browse to the folder XPBootImage (make sure Files of type: is set to All Files [*.*])

3. Also in the Boot tab select - Enable expert settings – and make sure that Emulation is set to None and - Number of loaded sectors to 4 (This is critical – if you do not follow these settings your disc will not boot)

4. Go to the Label tab and add your disc label (this is not critical just a nice touch)

Here are some alternatives:

WXPCCP_EN
WXHCCP_EN
WXPOEM_EN
WXHOEM_EN

Check out your own disc for the correct disc label – they seem to differ slightly perhaps by region – mine is X1APOEM_EN for example.

5. Click New in Nero Burning ROM and in File Browser (3rd column from left)
select the XPCD folder and in the far right hand column – right click any folder and Select All and then right click and Copy to Compilation and then click Burn tab

6. Final setting in Nero 6 is to make sure you have selected Write under the Burn tab and also select Finalize CD (No further writing possible!) and then click Burn again (I suggest you also select Verify written data after inserting your blank disc).

NOTE:
WHILE COMPILING THIS GUIDE – I FOLLOWED THIS STEP-BY-STEP AND CREATED A NEW SP2 SLIPSTREAMED DISC – AND TESTED IT IN MY TEST MACHINE - AND IT WORKS!
Last edited by Grav!ty on Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:49 am, edited 5 times in total.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby Grav!ty » Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:36 pm

I see there are other posts about this subject - (one should be sure to understand the difference between a slipstreamed installation disc and an unattended installation disc)

It is my finding that SP2 slipstreamed works better and gives less hastles than SP2 patched into an XP installation - and that is why I've written this guide

Also - I find that many guys use info from a number of sites (and there are many out there with guides) - and then end up with a corrupt installation disc.

So - I hope this is useful :notworthy
Last edited by Grav!ty on Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby Grav!ty » Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:32 pm

Here are some screenshots of the most important Nero settings:

Last edited by Grav!ty on Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PROfessional Member

Postby augie » Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:33 pm

Thanks for this tutorial gmas, but for n00bs like me who don't "get it", try nLite GUI interface and very easy to use, but for newer users, don't disable the options to save space, you may make coasters.
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby imnuts » Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:45 am

i used nLite to slipstream SP2 onto the xp cd, then made my unattend file with the setup tools from MS and as far as i know, it worked fine. I'll find out in another week or two when i actually use it, but the autorun part works fine.
PRO SUPREME

Postby e to the x » Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:52 pm

Do you have to copy the files to the OS drive or can all the files be on a different drive?
~Main Rig~
Phenom II X6
GA-870a-UD3
8 GB Corsair DDR3-1333
eVGA 9800GT
WD Black 500 GB
WD Black 1 TB
WD Green 1 TB
Seagate 250 GB
W7 x64
~Audio Stream Rig~
Athlon XP 2000+
MSI Motherboard
1 GB DDR-400
SoundBlaster Audigy2
160 GB HDD
WinXP
PROfessional Member

Postby imnuts » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:09 pm

i don't think it really matter's the for the drive, i just put them in an easy to access location.
PRO SUPREME

Postby e to the x » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:15 pm

Thanks Mark.
~Main Rig~
Phenom II X6
GA-870a-UD3
8 GB Corsair DDR3-1333
eVGA 9800GT
WD Black 500 GB
WD Black 1 TB
WD Green 1 TB
Seagate 250 GB
W7 x64
~Audio Stream Rig~
Athlon XP 2000+
MSI Motherboard
1 GB DDR-400
SoundBlaster Audigy2
160 GB HDD
WinXP
PROfessional Member

Postby Neuromancer » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:39 pm

I did not use Nero to burn my CD...

After I slipstremed it all I used CDImage to make a bootable ISO... Then just burned it with Alcohol 120 No special settings...

Of course Iwent the whole 9's route and included reg tweaks, added some thmeses and sound effects, set up user accounts, included all my IE favorites... added OEM information to the System Properties page.. blah blah blah

Oh yeah and autoinstalled Office2003 FrontPage2003 (both SP1 Slipstremed) .NET Framework (SP1 Slipstreamed) Sygate Personal Firewall, NOD32 Antivirus, SPybot search and Destroy (with Dec 16th Update) Adobe 7 reader, Flash FXP, all my drivers

Oh and some documents and settings I thought were necessary

Oh yeah I also spanned the installation across 3 partitions... C:\Windows D:\Doc and setting E\Appz (Program Files)

Then after install I added the second HDD made sure everything was kosher and added the pagefile to that HDD..

Still I think I am gonna undo that... It seems to be slowing my system down...

Oh I didn't use N-Lite, it did not offer all the stuff I wanted to do ;)

I hand coded it all :)

Thanks MSFN!!

"The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all. I like a little rebellion now and then. It is like a storm in the atmosphere."--Thomas Jefferson
PRO GOLD

Re: Creating a Windows XP (Pro/Home) SP2 Slipstreamed Instal

Postby e to the x » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:41 pm

gmas wrote:Extract the contents of SP2 using the following command line (start>run):

C:\XPSP2\WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe
~Main Rig~
Phenom II X6
GA-870a-UD3
8 GB Corsair DDR3-1333
eVGA 9800GT
WD Black 500 GB
WD Black 1 TB
WD Green 1 TB
Seagate 250 GB
W7 x64
~Audio Stream Rig~