A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Windows suddenly reset all settings and deleted my restores

Windows suddenly reset all settings and deleted my restores

Postby Cornflake » Thu May 13, 2010 10:19 am

Hi all,

I was doing some updating and uninstalling old programs on my computer tonight -- and after rebooting I came to find my desktop, start menu, installed programs, and just about everything else reset to windows defaults. As it was logging in I saw the little dialog boxes in the corner that one sees when Windows is being started for the first time. I was even greeted with the "Tour Windows XP" bubble in the system tray :shocked: The only think I can remoately imagine causing this problem was I removed WindowBlinds from my computer and did a 'custom' uninstall... it asked me to select registry entries to remove that were modified when WB was installed. Maybe that screwed things up?

I wasn't really alarmed until I opened system restore to find all of my restore points deleted. I had just made about 3 today, and since I leave my computer on overnight I was certain that I had ample automatically created when the PC was idle.

So basically: I have never seen anything like this happen before, and I would like to see if I can 'restore' my system restore points :lol: that is, allow them to be visible / usable if they are still saved on my PC. Is there any way to do this? If not I am faced with 5+ hours of restalling programs and drivers. I have recently moved in with a roomate and we both need to use the computer so this would make me so happy if I could avoid installing XP again.

- Thank you guys for all your expertise :yesnod:
PRO Level 15

Re: Windows suddenly reset all settings and deleted my restores

Postby Cornflake » Thu May 13, 2010 10:46 am

I did some googling and even though I couldn't find a suggestion solution, I did find a similar problem: http://www.computing.net/answers/window ... 78640.html

Same symptoms: most programs reset, but some left how I had them before. Also their Windows desktop was completely reset.
PRO Level 15

Return to General Windows Support