Shanedog wrote:I'm running Server 2008 x64 Datacenter pretty much the same way and I'm somewhat impressed with it over Vista x64... it feels more robust and seems more secure.
Someone needs to figure out a way to install and run sidebar on Server without installing Vista in order to do it. Seems there should be a way to extract it from the archived files on the Vista DVD ala the old days of extracting drivers and needed files from the Win98 CD's cab files.
But things such as that I leave for those with more free time than what I have.
I guess I had the free time
You'll need a file manager, such as 7-Zip, that can read WIM archives. I'll assume you are running Server 2008 x64 and have a Vista x64 CD or image.
1. Load the Vista x64 CD or mount the image.
2. Start 7-Zip (or equivalent) and navigate to the Vista x64 volume.
3. Open the \sources\install.wim\1\Program Files
4. Copy the Windows Sidebar
folder from the Vista x64 volume to your PC's C:\Program Files
5. Open a Command Prompt (CMD) window as Administrator.
6. In the CMD window, run C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe /RegServer
7. Run regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sbdrop.dll"
8. Run regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\wlsrvc.dll"
9. Close the CMD window.
10. Open the Registry Editor, REGEDIT.
11. Navigate to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
12. Create a key called Sidebar
13. Open the Sidebar
14. Create a key named Compatibility
15. Create a key named Settings
16. Open the Settings
17. Create a value of type REG_SZ
with data 0x1,0x2,0x3,0x4
18. Close REGEDIT.
19. Run C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe
to start the Sidebar.
And away you go...