A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Windows 8 Release Preview (RC), Build 8400 Install & Testing

Windows 8 Release Preview (RC), Build 8400 Install & Testing

Postby shreader » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:52 am

Today I downloaded & installed the x86 version of Windows 8 Release Preview (the new name for Release Candidate). It was released today @ several locations; I snagged my copies from TechNet. It only took 11 minutes to download this one & 10 min, 45 sec to install.
I installed 3 windows updates it wanted & added a few windows features. First blush, it is running & performing quite well. I looked around for WindowsToGo but cannot find it, thus I’m thinking it’s the Professional SKU. I tried several of the Enterprise keys from the “product.ini” but all were rejected.

It’s installed on Test rig #2, specs.
Biostar GF7050-M7 mATX , NVidia GeForce 7050 Chipset ,
Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 @ 2.2 Ghz , 65nm
2 GB DDR2 -667 Memory
GeForce 9600 GT PCIe graphics

File name: en_windows_8_release_preview_with_apps_x86_dvd_863997.iso
Size: 2,494 MB

About Windows

About IE10

The default (non-metro) desktop

Themes to choose from
Software Director

Re: Windows 8 Release Preview (RC), Build 8400 Install & Tes

Postby yeshuas » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:48 am

I guess I didn't check Technet well enough, or overlooked the download somehow
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby shreader » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:04 pm

The TechNet link didn't go up until just before 12 Noon yesterday PT (my time).

I searched the 'C' drive for "img" & found more wallpapers, these for before the log-in window.
Software Director

Postby JabbaPapa » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:29 pm

Setup didn't kill my VistaBootPRO 3.3 W7/W8 multiboot -- it even kept W7 as the default OS !!! ^*^
PRO VETERAN

Postby JabbaPapa » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:41 pm

Just a reminder of my little trick to get Start Menu functionality back :

----------

JabbaPapa wrote:No Start button workaround --- right-click on taskbar, add the desktop toolbar -- this will provide access to a context menu (click on : >>) which has the basic features of the start menu -- it also points to the contents of your desktop, so it would be possible to create a folder on the desktop called programs, containing links to whatever you'd normally want to access via Start button (whether it's regedit, msconfig, little used software that you don't want cluttering up taskbar or desktop, or anything else -- and you will be able to get to that stuff via the desktop context menu on taskbar -- though it will be located bottom right instead of bottom left). (or you could put that stuff in your Documents folder, or anywhere else accessible by that means)

Better workaround -- you can actually create your own toolbar for the taskbar, which will link to *any* folder you want -- which can be the program files folder.

This is done by right-clicking on taskbar and selecting > Toolbars > New Toolbar ... and then navigating to a folder which will constitute the contents of your toolbar.

But I'm actually thinking the Start Menu is still in here somewhere, so that it may be possible to create a toolbar linking to it directly ? hmmmmm off to explore ...

yep !!! :)

Make hidden folders visible ; Go to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows and select the Start Menu folder for your toolbar !!! :yesnod: ^*^

-----

For some extra refinements, navigate to C:\Users\%user name%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

Copy the folder Windows System, as well as the Windows Defender shortcut -- and paste it into C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu

In some other folder, even a temporary one, create some shortcuts to stuff that you want in your Start menu -- Documents, Pictures, Music, anything you want !!

When you're done, copy all of these links into -- C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu

--

Please note that this will make these items available to all users (assuming that you performed the same trick for those users) -- if you wish to keep these items user-specific, simply reverse the process, and copy things from C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu to C:\Users\%user name%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs --- however, the user-specific Start Menu contains some empty folders, and will therefore be less useful as a basis ; and I would personally recommend against deleting any of those empty folders...

Alternatively, you could simply link to any or all of these contents, and whatever else you'd like to have in your Start Menu, into an entirely different folder in your Documents folder, or on your desktop or wherever, and do what you want with it -- call the containing folder Start Menu or Stuff or whatever, and that is the name that your custom-built toolbar will have -- in order to avoid the drawback of needing to keep it manually updated in case of software updates, or folder structure changes, etc --- such a folder would need to contain not copies of the Start Menu folders or other folders or objects and so on, but links to those folders and objects. ;)

--

Voilà !!! Customisable Windows 8 Start Menu without having to disable Metro !! :witch:
PRO VETERAN

Postby JabbaPapa » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:36 pm

I really dislike this Windows version, RP even more than the CP.

It's kind of a halfway compromise between Mac OS and Windows, but without the elegance and simplicity of the first, nor the versatility of the second.

Setup went very well, but as soon as I started with the 3rd party Apps NOT from the silly Store thingy, it was downhill all the way, with glitches, software malfunctions, flickery screen, and hard drive integrity corruption. I'll need to format the thing, and I'm loathe to reinstall W8, can't see any point.
PRO VETERAN

Postby shreader » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:05 pm

I have not had any problems installing my apps

I also didn't install any additional drivers that Win8 didn't include, like Chipset, LAN, etc.

I just installed a 16-bit application & it runs fine so far.

*Not sure if this is offered w/ the Win8 RP x64 flavor tho.
Software Director

Postby JabbaPapa » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:09 pm

OMG !!!

They've added advertisements to the Microsoft Connect site !!!!!!!!!!! :bashhead :x :-x Image

Microsoft is turning back into Micro$oft ... :confused
PRO VETERAN

Postby kanaloa » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:16 pm

I was going to download this and play with it, but I'm thinking I may wait. I saw it pop up on my Technet subscription, but after reading some of the comments here, I'm not sure I'm ready to mess with it much just yet. :whistle

Oh, and this may unintentionally stir the pot, but when I installed Windows 7 on my Mac using Boot Camp, I swear it ran better than it (Win 7) ever has on any PC I've ever used... seriously. Even the performance score blew most of my PC's out of the water. There's something humorous about that to me. :P
"Greatness is not a function of circumstance. Greatness, it turns out, is largely a matter of conscious choice, and discipline." - Jim Collins
President

Postby JabbaPapa » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:42 pm

John, the one thing that Apple are hands down BEST at, is providing fantastic hardware and hardware configurations :yesnod: ^*^ :drinking
PRO VETERAN

Next

Return to Alpha / Beta Software