A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Windows 8 Developers Preview download info.

Re: Windows 8 Developers Preview download info.

Postby shreader » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:22 pm

I am a NVIDIA guy, haven't had any problems w/ their display drivers... yet :notworthy
-----------------------

My previous post on Portable Workspace in build 7989.
post814517.html#p814517

Now this feature is called “Windows To Go”.

I tested it on several of my PCs & it worked great on ¾ of them using this step-by-step guide.
How to create a Windows To Go USB drive in Windows 8 - step-by-step

Hopefully the Beta will work better using the built-in creator app.

My new LG LCD/LED TV has a feature that one can plug-in a USB flash drive & run a application that way on the TV.
Sounds like something to try w/ the beta or RTM (if I can wait that long).

Photo of My Laptop w/ W8 running off (32GB) USB flash drive.
Software Director

Postby JabbaPapa » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:47 pm

Yeah well I'm using Aero not Metro, JD :)

It's a sheer accident I have ATi not nVidia, but yeah it's hardly ideal. nVidia FTW

I'm finding that games crash somewhere between 0 times and twice in any 24-hour period, which is a heck of an improvement compared to drivers three months ago :confused

It's still *incredibly* stable for an Alpha !!! :witch:
PRO VETERAN

Postby JabbaPapa » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:37 pm

Internet radio using Winamp is not very good, it keeps on stuttering, then shutting down ; but playing MP3 files stored on my drives is fine.

Probably some sort of networking conflict caused by the non-W8 software. Using compatibility mode did not help at all.

It seems to be using more resources at start-up than 3 months ago, which must be due to whichever updates installed since then and Windows-phone-home stuff using up more RAM. Or whatever, hmmmmm ....

W8 does use RAM more efficiently than W7, so that software which can just crash because it hits a certain ceiling in W7 tends to chug along a lot more happily in W8.
PRO VETERAN

Postby JabbaPapa » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:29 am

One area where the OS seems to be unstable OTOH, is that the automatic defragmentation and optimisation feature that has been in Windows since Vista appears to be generating massive fragmentation of the Windows partition instead, when you use it as your Main OS that is ; on my PC anyway.
PRO VETERAN

Postby JabbaPapa » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:28 pm

The kernel also appears to be not 100% stable, and it appears to suffer from some W7/W8 permeability.

I've certainly been plagued this last few days with some very annoying blackscreens at boot, and other such errors -- and I (finally) realised that corruption of boot or other data stored in the flash memory of my hardware was a possible cause ; and then logging into W7 I had a BSOD mentioning that critical files had been modified and Windows was forcing a restart (and, I assume, a repair) ; after which my boot problems appear to have vanished.

Which tells me that a multiboot VI/7/8 setup is not 100% viable given the current state of W8, exactly as MS has been saying BTW since the DP was released -- but also that there can be some very low level inter-OS contamination in a multiboot system if you use W8 Alpha.

Concerning PROnet specifically, I would recommend against wasting any time on an update of DBP to try and provide any sort of W8 Alpha support in any public release, given that W8 Alpha multibooting is pure and simple unstable. Possibly, internal private work might be a timewaster too, because whichever fixes they come up with for Beta + are unpredictable ...

Hope that helps :)
PRO VETERAN

Postby JabbaPapa » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:47 pm

Setup died after about 6 weeks of daily use :whistle

Won't repair it, will just wait for Beta instead...
PRO VETERAN

Postby shreader » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:46 pm

JabbaPapa wrote:Setup died after about 6 weeks of daily use :whistle

Won't repair it, will just wait for Beta instead...

Same here, the DP build is getting a bit long-in-the-tooth now.
I haven't even turned that test rig on for a couple of weeks, waiting for the Beta too.
Software Director

Previous

Return to Alpha / Beta Software