A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Windows 7 / XP system: DBP crashes with exception error

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Windows 7 / XP system: DBP crashes with exception error

Postby rgelen » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:28 pm

Hi, I wonder if anyone can assist with this.

I wanted to add Windows XP to a Win 7 Pro system. Gave it its own drive and followed the Guide "Install Windows XP in Dual Boot with Pre-Installed Windows 7" and installed the board drivers, etc, all working well.

System reliably booted (only) into XP.

I then ran DBP, chose System Bootloader tab, selected "Windows Vista or Windows 7 Bootloader" in the first section and "All Drives" in the second section and then clicked Install Bootloader.

It went off and did its stuff. Now however, when I clicked "Run diagnostics" I got an unhandled exception error. In fact thereafter it gave an exception error whatever I tried to do. I can't tell you exactly what it said, because...

...I tried rebooting and it came back into Win7. Thank goodness actually. Running DBP in 7 it ran normally, and told me that it only saw Win7 installed. I added an XP entry manually and it goes into the boot menu on startup, but the XP selection fails. It doesn't like "\ntldr", it tells me.

I am not sufficiently au fait with the workings of DBP (I bought it today, to do this) to know what to try. Suggestions most welcome, and thanks in advance!

Best,
--Richard E
Last edited by rgelen on Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PRO New Member

Re: Windows 7 / XP system: DBP crashes with exception error

Postby jbullard » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:32 pm

Richard, can you post some screenshots of the errors you are getting? I have to say this is the first time we have ran into a situation like this. Also, post the contents of the Overview -> All output within DBP.
VP - Software

Postby rgelen » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:52 pm

Sadly, no I can't as I can't get back into XP currently.
Let me try another approach and see if I can get in. I may not manage this tonight however.

Thanks for the rapid response!

Best,
--R
PRO New Member

Postby jbullard » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:04 pm

So DBP is working fine under Windows 7? Does it error out on you when you attempt to run diagnostics or is that where you are saying it only is recognizing 7?
VP - Software

Postby rgelen » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:11 pm

DBP is not generating errors in Windows 7, no.
More details tomorrow if I can get them!

Thanks again,
--R
PRO New Member

Return to Windows Boot Problems