A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Windows 7 trying to give DHCP responses?

Windows 7 trying to give DHCP responses?

Postby poisonbl » Thu May 05, 2011 2:20 pm

I'm on a network here where dhcp snooping's enabled and a dhcp response from anywhere that isn't our own dhcp server gets the source blocked from network immediately (via this process: :pc ). This is generally a great feature, keeps from having things break when one of our users gets the bright idea to plug in a little home router or the like with our network on the 'inside' or when a virus starts trying to inject its own dhcp options by racing our dhcp server to answering... but there's a problem lately.

There are a number of users who have Windows 7, some home premuim, some pro, but all Dell OEM, that have been repeatedly dropped from network for giving out DHCP responses. None of them have Internet Connection Sharing turned on, and I've even tried toggling it on/off with a reboot between just to be sure. It's intermittent, after anywhere from 1-3 weeks from getting their system back on network, it happens again.

They're spread between buildings, different departments, different software loads, and they have little to nothing in common aside from being Dell OEM W7 systems. It has me and all the guys I work with here completely stumped. :bashhead
PRO Level 10
Location: WVU -- Morgantown, WV. -- USA (TZ: -5 hrs GMT, -4 DST)

Re: Windows 7 trying to give DHCP responses?

Postby jbullard » Thu May 05, 2011 5:00 pm

What software came pre-installed on these systems? It could be a service starting up that is causing the issue.
VP - Software

Return to General Windows Support