A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Windows 7 RC Build 7100 Installation/Testing

Re: Windows 7 RC Build 7100 Installation/Testing

Postby shreader » Mon May 04, 2009 3:08 am

augie wrote:OK, installed the Vista 185.81 beta driver instead and 'poof', the magic dragon appeared and RT is doing it's job! :() I'll be writing up my experiences in a separate post or appendix for the folders soon as I've been :bashhead for several hours and need a :drinking or several.;) ^*^

Way to go Augie ^*^

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I Hate it when I type up a post then back space a word & the web page backs-up instead & I lose my post after going forward (an IE8 problem).
SOoo I try it again :lol:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have noticed that IE8 in the win7 RC x86 & x64 has a zoom problem.

Try this out:
Open IE8 & using the zoom button in the lower rt. corner zoom the page to 200%.
Scroll the page a bit then shut down IE8.
Wait a few minutes or even restart the PC.

Now open IE8 (even in no add-on) and notice that the page is still zoomed as when you left it, even after a restart.
I am wonder if this is "by design" for someone (focus group?) or a problem. For me its a problem as I only zoom small things I want bigger, & open another page to go on browsing.

Is anyone else seeing this?

Edit: I found out this AM that this is by design but the default setting can be changed :yesnod:
Software Director

Postby JabbaPapa » Fri May 08, 2009 2:11 pm

Installed it a few times, and REALLY like it -- but it's hard to give detailed reports without easy internet access :(

Just in a nutshell, I'm finding that it combines the stability of W95 with the speed of XP (actually, even faster) and the beauty and features of Vista -- basically, the best of Windows in one box :)
PRO VETERAN

Postby GTX11 » Sat May 09, 2009 2:46 pm

I installed the 64 bit and I love it. The first thing I did was remove IE 8 and WMP. I use Firefox and Winmp so I had no need for those programs. I have used every build since 7000 and so far I like this one the best. I hope that MS does not change anything when it goes gold.
PRO New Member

Postby BILLMCC66 » Mon May 18, 2009 3:48 pm

Don't know if anyone else is experiencing this, I have a number of programs and applications compressed to save space and if i want to open them my default is Winrar, now in Vista it snaps open immediately but in Windows 7RC it lag by about 4 seconds, so i am not sure if it's the OS or Winrar is not fully compatible?
STILL LEARNING

LOGIC CAN GET YOU FROM A TO B BUT IMAGINATION CAN GET YOU ANYWHERE
PRO Level 8

Postby yeshuas » Mon May 18, 2009 4:04 pm

BILLMCC66 wrote:Don't know if anyone else is experiencing this, I have a number of programs and applications compressed to save space and if i want to open them my default is Winrar, now in Vista it snaps open immediately but in Windows 7RC it lag by about 4 seconds, so i am not sure if it's the OS or Winrar is not fully compatible?

I am finding that the Video drivers (185.85) kinda stinks for my GTX 260, the refresh or whatever it is called when you open a window is horrible, it is not instant as it was in Vista, and the driver keeps crashing and recovering.
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby BILLMCC66 » Tue May 19, 2009 5:11 am

I have also had that Dan but i did not equate it to Windows 7?
I had assumed that it was a glitch with the GPU but now i will roll back the driver and see if it helps.

Something that has come to mind is that we will be using 7RC for a year and then it stops but by that time most of us will have accumulated a lot of data/applications and if we purchase a valid copy of the final release will it let us just update or will it be a fresh install ?
STILL LEARNING

PRO Level 8

Postby JabbaPapa » Tue May 19, 2009 9:15 am

BILLMCC66 wrote:I have also had that Dan but i did not equate it to Windows 7?
I had assumed that it was a glitch with the GPU but now i will roll back the driver and see if it helps.

There are a couple of graphics bugs in the W7 RC, and I really found the Beta 1 drivers to be more reliable than those delivered inbox for W7 RC -- more importantly perhaps, particularly if you do any gaming, there is a bug in the RC DXdiag, where it can wrongly report a hardware failure and therefore generate a virtual > real graphics failure. Of course, the desktop itself runs in DX9 so that it could conceivably be affected by the bug ... Corrected reportedly in builds 7122+

BILLMCC66 wrote:Something that has come to mind is that we will be using 7RC for a year and then it stops but by that time most of us will have accumulated a lot of data/applications and if we purchase a valid copy of the final release will it let us just update or will it be a fresh install ?

Well mine runs out in March -- and although Beta>RC and RC>RTM upgrading is NOT supported, in fact it should work in most cases -- but a clean install of RTM when it becomes available would still be recommendable, as there may be some registry or other database configuration errors in the Beta/RC that an upgrade might not be able to correct.

Also, you should bear in mind that the Beta/RC are W7 Ultimate, but if you purchase another version you will be unable to downgrade to your purchased edition of W7 -- well, not unless and until Microsoft's in-development personal-data+installed-software migration tool ever comes out of Alpha ...
PRO VETERAN

Postby BILLMCC66 » Tue May 19, 2009 10:39 am

I have received a number of updates in the last week for 7RC and (touch wood) it's running fine for now.
The problem with the graphics has not reappeared after rolling back the drivers so that looks OK as well.

I really like this new OS and after a bit of a learning curve i am getting to grips with it and will be happy to keep it until such time as MS say it's finished at which time i will quite happily part with money for a full version. (lets see how much they will market it for?)
STILL LEARNING

PRO Level 8

Postby shreader » Sat May 23, 2009 2:43 am

Thanks Bill
I read your post & rembered it when I saw 2 new updates & 1 was a graphics driver, pass :lol:

For those w/o Windows 7 installed... Here are a few more screenys ^*^

Arranged by: Tag, of Pictures library

WMC JumpList

This 7RC x64 copy is installed on the rig in my signature.
Software Director

Previous

Return to General Windows Support