A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Windows 7 Install Lost BCD

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Windows 7 Install Lost BCD

Postby wotan2525 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:56 pm

I just upgraded to Windows 7... did a fresh install on what ended up being my G: drive. After I had it all set-up I decided I'd remove my previous vista install that was on the c: drive.

I used vistabootpro 3.3 to try and remove vista from the boot menu.... and then had it install the boot loader on all drives (I thought this would prove failsafe.) I then formatted my c: drive.

Surprise!! Can't boot... bootmgr not found is displayed when I boot. I go into the Windows 7 repair/recovery console and it finds my Windows 7 installation (on the E drive?) but can't automatically repair. When I run bootrec /scanos -- it doesn't find anything. How can I fix this? I can still easily switch to me E: drive (why isn't it G anymore?) and see all of my files and Windows 7 there. Help!
PRO New Member

Re: Windows 7 Install Lost BCD

Postby shreader » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:49 pm

Hi wotan2525, welcome to PROnetworks.

I am sorry it took so long to answer your question.

If you have not fixed this yet you could try booting your Windows 7 DVD and at the Install screen choose Repait in the lower corner then choose the Startup Repair.
You may need to run it twice.

Please let us know if this works for you.
Software Director

Return to Windows Boot Problems