A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Windows 7 & Dual Socket Xeon Workstation

Windows 7 & Dual Socket Xeon Workstation

Postby lowellabraham » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:17 am

Greetings all!

I am planning to build a Dual Socket Workstation to capture HD footage from an HD Camcorder via HDMI using BlackMagic Design Intensity Pro PCI capture card for Direct-to-Disk (RAID Array) recording using Adobe OnLocation CS5.

Motherboard: ASUS Z8NA-D6C Dual LGA 1366 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813131378
CPU: 2 X Intel Xeon E5620 Westmere 2.4GHz 12MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819117234

I'd like to install Windows 7 Professional from the TechNet subscription. I was wondering if it would work with Dual Socket/CPU? Any licensing issues?

Any help appreciated! Thanks guys!
Low
Workstation:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 2.33GHz 1333 MHz FSB
PCB: GA-EP45-UD3R
RAM: 4X1GB DDRII 800MHz
GPU: Nvidia 8400 GS
HDD0: WD 150 GB 10,000 RPM
DISPLAY: 24' Dell UltraSharp Widescreen
Server: Intel Pentium 4 3.40GHz HT 800MHz FSB / 4X1GB DDRII 800MHz / 1X200GB 7200rpm / Windows 2003 Server Standard R2
PRO Level 12

Re: Windows 7 & Dual Socket Xeon Workstation

Postby Grav!ty » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:35 am

I've almost no doubt it would work because it's based on the server 2008 core. As to license issues, most systems are multi-core these days and without checking the actual license out (I'm in trusty old Windows XP at the moment), I'd find it very strange indeed if you violated your license Lowell.

I'll reboot to W 7 in a while to check the license out but I'd say go ahead with a clear conscience.

It will be good to hear from you how that baby performs with W 7 ^*^

Ah...just something to think about...TechNet versions are for test use and you can throw it them at just about anything you like on that basis and as many times as you like.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby Grav!ty » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:24 am

Here's what the License Terms says:

2. Installation and Use Rights

a. One Copy per Computer You may install one copy of the software on one Computer. That Computer is "the licensed computer".

b. Licensed Computer You may use the software on up to two processors on the licensed computer at one time. Unless otherwise provided in these license terms, you may not use the software on any other computer

==

They're talking about CPU's and not cores.

The TechNet subscription terms override the last sentence of point 2. b. so one can install TechNet versions on multiple computers at the same time.

I pulled this EULA info from Windows 7 Professional also from TechNet.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby lowellabraham » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:03 pm

Graham, Thanks a lot bud! Really appreciate your help. So since that is out of the way, I have another question:

I am planning to setup RAID 10 for our purpose. I came across 4X WD RE3 WD1002FBYS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s = $519.96 and 4X WD Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s = $351.96. I am not sure which drives I should choose. Do I need enterprise class drives for the purpose below?

Or are there any cheaper drives that are good for RAID 10. These drives will be the workhorse (PURPOSE: they will be reading/writing uncompressed HD footage from HD camera via HDMI input during a 3 hour church service, and then edited using Adobe Premiere CS5.) I am just trying to cut cost since it is a church.

I have picked 3ware 9650SE-4LPML as the RAID Controller which I think is good; atleast that's what the ratings/reviews say.

Any help appreciated! Thanks! :)
Workstation:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 2.33GHz 1333 MHz FSB
PCB: GA-EP45-UD3R
RAM: 4X1GB DDRII 800MHz
GPU: Nvidia 8400 GS
HDD0: WD 150 GB 10,000 RPM
DISPLAY: 24' Dell UltraSharp Widescreen
Server: Intel Pentium 4 3.40GHz HT 800MHz FSB / 4X1GB DDRII 800MHz / 1X200GB 7200rpm / Windows 2003 Server Standard R2
PRO Level 12

Postby Grav!ty » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:16 pm

Off hand I'd say using the integrated on-board SATA2 RAID controller would give equal performance and the Intel ICH10R south bridge (drive controller) is probably better known and tested and capable of the same RAID configurations as the plug-in card you mention.

I'm afraid I'm really rusty on RAID levels except for RAID0 so which RAID level to go for best performance, cost and data security you're going to need to discuss with someone else. I can help on setting up the RAID array on your Intel controller though as I'm using the ICH9R controller myself.

I'd suggest you PM and/or email Joe (mnemonicj) to take a look at this thread. He's clued up about RAID of all levels and will give you good advice on which is best for your needs and on which of the drives you mention to go for :yesnod:

PROfessional Member

Return to Hardware and Customizing