A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Windows 7 creates a small System partition

Re: Windows 7 creates a small System partition

Postby Grav!ty » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:47 pm

That's great input thank you jabolfan :yesnod:

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby taichibabbo » Mon May 03, 2010 7:17 pm

All,

On the topic of Windows 7 creates a small system partition. I have been working on a friends new Compaq Presario CQ5320F that came with Windows Home Edition 64-bit installed, and I have been going crazy trying to get XP to dual boot from another partition on the same drive once I have shrunk the Win 7 partition. I was getting desperate and going through my bag pf "tricks" utilities. I tried Spotmau 2010 Powersuite and looked under their "Partition Genius", sorry that's what they call it! Partition Genius showed that first partition "marked"as "hidden" and I hadn't run across this information anywhere else. I think in my case (with the Compaq) (Compaq is always doing something screwy) and I guess my question is,
"would it be a good or bad idea to "unhide" that first partition? Partition Genius offers the option to do this, but is it a good idea to do along with your program "DualBootPro"? I am new to your product and don't know if this will improve the odds of success or make them worse.

Comments appreciated.

TaiChiBabbo a.k.a.
John Baglione
from Sunny Beaufort. SC, USA
PRO New Member

Postby jbullard » Mon May 03, 2010 10:00 pm

Welcome to PROnetworks John!! ^*^ Although I don't live there now, I lived in Beaufort for about 5 years. I still have family there and in Charleston. One day I hope to live there again.

On the topic at hand...The hidden partition should be left alone. I do not recommend unhiding it and assigning a drive letter. The reason Windows 7 does this is to help protect the system and boot files from virus'. Assigning a drive letter defeats the purpose. However, if you were going to do it I would not use any partition manager. I would suggest doing it manually through the Disk Management snap-in. :yesnod:

DualBootPRO will definitely help you in restoring the Windows 7 bootloader once XP is installed. There is a guide that will walk you through the steps. Let me go get the link for that.

Jason
VP - Software

Postby jbullard » Mon May 03, 2010 10:09 pm

Here is the guide: install-windows-xp-in-dual-boot-with-pre-installed-windows-7-t112568.html

It does say to unhide the system partition. Maybe one of the individuals who wrote it can explain why. I do not unhide the partition. :no But, I would definitely follow the guide as it has been tested several times. :yesnod:
VP - Software

Previous

Return to Guides