A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

windows 7 added xp pro image can not boot to xp

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Re: windows 7 added xp pro image can not boot to xp

Postby johnwmeigs » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:40 pm

Well actually I just tried to boot to the XP pro disk and that wouldn't load either. Came back with cisable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing, which I couldn't find on the BIOS. And also a driver may have stopped it acpi.sys - address F73D1466 Base at F73C6000, Datestamp 3d6dd69f

Was just going to install a new xp system in another partition to see if that would work.
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:55 am

What version of Windows XP do you have? SP 1, SP2 or SP3? It may be that you need SATA drivers for XP. What is the make and model of your SATA controller? You can find that in Device Manager.

It could be that you need SATA drivers though I can't imagine why your XP install disk won't run...can you not boot to it at all?

Have you used a third party partition manager on your hard drive? I'm just wondering why you have such a strange drive configuration.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby johnwmeigs » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:04 am

Well I guess there is more of a problem. I tried to boot to genuine xp disk and it will not start on this computer.
Dell xps with a i7
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:10 am

Check out your boot priority in the BIOS and try with it set it to first boot from CD/DVD and second boot to HDD.

You can also try running XP setup from within Windows 7 and then just be sure to select the correct partition for installation. If I were in your position, I would first of all create a recovery disk set using the tools provided by the manufacturer of your system.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby johnwmeigs » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:34 am

I sure have backed it all up.

I am not sure on the version of xp I think its sp2 I seem to remember downloading the sp3 update.

Under Device Manager-IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers-Intel(R) 5 Series 6Port SATA AHCI Controller.

Why did you say my Partitions look funny? I shrank C:,created a partition in unallocated space and named it G:, the rest was how the computer came. I used Easeus Partitioning Program.

I am considering downloading the Windows XP Mode, since I have Win7 Pro.
I tried the Virtual PC with Vista 32 and didn't really like it. I dont think the program that I wanted to run would run in it.

Tried installing XP while in Win7 and it stalled. Tried right clicking setup and touble shooting Compatibility mode xp3, setup continued to the install mode. Clicked on check compatibilty it came back with 'Program blocked due to compatibility issues'. Tried goin back to Win 98/Mil mode and it came back with the same message. Same message when trying to install xp in both modes.
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:51 am

Is your BIOS set to boot from CD as the first boot device?

Also, try setting your IDE controller in the BIOS from AHCI to IDE...this could well be the problem with XP and should not cause Windows 7 to stop booting and you can always just change that back again if it fails.

The only other thing I can think of is that you slipstream the SATA drivers into your Windows XP CD using a free tool called nLite. You can download the SATA drivers for XP from Intel. This however should really not be the problem with an Intel controller.

PROfessional Member

Postby johnwmeigs » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:10 am

Changed the bios from AHCI to ATA that didn't help and win 7 wouldn't boot either.

Went to thenLite site and downloaded the program and said this is great, copied the system disk over, downloaded the sp3 upgrade from microsoft and the intel drivers ran it all through made a image then a disk. Booted it up and it said the same thing. copied it back to nLite, it read it as the original disk both were the same size and everything. Must of down something wrong.

Not a priority now I got the program that ran on xp over to win7, copied dir, regs, and system files till it worked in compatiblitly mode.

Found out I had XP Pro 1, so that definitely has to be upgraded, was told you needed at least sp2 for it to work.
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:47 am

You can use nLite to slipstream XP SP3 into your CD too.

PROfessional Member

Previous

Return to Windows Boot Problems